meat rabbits?

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by kelebek, Mar 3, 2009.

1. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Does anyone raise their own meat rabbits? If so what breed?

2. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    We used to raise meat rabbits, we had New Zealands and Californians.

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I have been offered a trade with some meat rabbits that are ready to breed now - I am thinking about it - but not sure on the the specifics. What do breeding meat rabbits technically go for. I know that his are registered (which - don't see a need for if going in my belly) - but on average???

4. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    We raise some New Zealands specifically for meat, other than that, the rest of the non-meat rabbits that we don't sell or that aren't for show we eat, I don't mind eating small bunnies. Lol.

5. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    I see nonregistered ones usually going for 5-15, if they are registered 20+ depending on conformatiuon and such - in our area anyway.

6. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    i have calfifornian.

although i bought a buck and put the does with him, and they never bred, i even tried 2-3 times. grr. i think he's sterile.

7. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    I know how you feel Katrina, I bred three of my show does, they were supposed to be due yesterday, not the slightest sign of babies.

8. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    well hubby just squashed that idea - darn it. He said NO more things he has to feed - well I feed so I don't know what he is complaining about.

Hehehe - he still doesn't know about Sandy!

9. Just Kiddin'

Just Kiddin' New Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Southern California
    You can buy Vanilla extract at your grocery store and put it in your does water and it helps them with conception :) My sons also breed mini lop show rabbits along with their million other animals LOL. Also don't breed them when it's too cold or too hot out.

10. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    a rabbit for consumption. your lucky if you get 5 dollars.

we( friend and i) send our culls to the zoo's raptor thing. they pay 3 dollars for a 5 + pound rabbit and that's the best so far