The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are moving out on our own and money will be tight, so I am thinking about raising rabbits for meat. I have raised rabbits before just not for personal consumption, I have never even ate rabbit before- but read it tastes like chicken? Anyways, I plan on getting two does and one buck.
Does any one have any good recipes?
What is your preferred way to kill to butcher?
What breed do you prefer?
Is it really as cheap as most people say? -- I plan to build a movable day pen so they can graze. Most of the litter if not all would go in the freezer.

Thanks so much :)

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Yes you would be surprised how fast they can dig. Right now we put our baby rabbits in just a normal rabbit cage with wire on the bottom and move them around the back yard to eat the lawn. I have no idea about your other questions this is the first batch of babies we have kept alive so no death for them lol

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have made movable pens before, I raised them for almost 10 years, but I always sold as pets.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I raised Flemish giants for 20 yrs. butchering rabbits is not a good time if not done right they are screamers and once that happened I couldn't do it again. I always sold them alive after my experience. And yes they can dig out from anything super quick

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
I raised Flemish giants for 20 yrs. butchering rabbits is not a good time if not done right they are screamers and once that happened I couldn't do it again. I always sold them alive after my experience. And yes they can dig out from anything super quick
I have butchered 100's of rabbits now. Never once a screamer.

I use an air rifle. One shot to the head.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I've never eaten or butchered rabbits. But the few I know that do, raise California, New Zealand and Flemish crosses for meat. And they use a wringer. Its not for me. I wish I could because I know the meat is supposed to be good, and I feed the dogs rabbit(Plus its so expensive), but I can't :p I might try chickens and turkeys this spring.

Good luck :)

·
4,499 Posts
The instructional videos I referred to are on 'dispatching and cleaning' ... They used a small gun/rifle type. I have butchered chickens ducks goats and a pig, if rabbits weren't so cute, I'd probably try them too...:).

·
Registered
905 Posts
New Zealand Whites are what we raise for meat. Delicious.

I'm making a rabbit stew this weekend with biscuits baked on top of it. You can do a search online to find hundreds of recipes.

My husband butchers them, but it took him quite awhile to get used to it. They are too cute...but we give them a good, happy life while they are with us. He uses a .22 for a fast kill, no pain, no noises.

Be careful if you are feeding them grass. They can bloat from it, especially the young ones. They suffer and scream in the worse way. (We've never seen it happen, but have been told about it.) We will not give ours any grass at all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts