The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting a new doe this week! I am super excited. She has great conformation, and great genetics. She's got Tom Thumb as her SS, and Kingwood in the mix also. She is a really great doe.
Thing is... Her medial is lacking.. So I probably won't show her.
Anyways, I read somewhere that medials will improve with future kiddings? Is this true? This year was her second freshening, as a 3 year old.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. Are medials easy to improve with good breeding?

·
2,203 Posts
Thanks. Are medials easy to improve with good breeding?
Like everything else, you really need to cull for your unwanted traits. Always breed up. Medials or udder cleft never improve. With age, the ligament weakens, and really starts to pull from stress of udder. You may have heard this because of the swelling and edema that occurs really makes cleft pop once it dissipates.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So if I breed her to a buck with good medials in his parentage, should her doelings udders look better?

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
Breeding to a buck who has strong traits should improve her daughters but it is one of those things that isn't always 100% Unless the buck you use has proven that he does have a strong trait to improve medial by seeing his daughters and their dams udders, you are still making a gamble... won't know unless you try though.

I do agree with what was said about the medial getting weaker with each freshening, if a doe starts out with weak attachments, regardless of where they are, they do not tighten with each year, the only thing that I have seen improve with each freshening is capacity and teat size due to "use".

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you.. I already put a deposit down on her and I am picking her up saturday so it's kinda a done deal. Other than the medial issue her udder looks pretty nice to me. She comes from great lines so I don't know why her medial is lacking :confused: I guess that just happens sometimes.

·
2,203 Posts
Thank you.. I already put a deposit down on her and I am picking her up saturday so it's kinda a done deal. Other than the medial issue her udder looks pretty nice to me. She comes from great lines so I don't know why her medial is lacking :confused: I guess that just happens sometimes.
Absolutely. People have different "strengths" they breed for over others, the lines she came from may have bred for fore attachment, smooth rump, and milk production. You never know. Could've been the buck they used.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Could have.. I'm going to breed her to my buck that I have this year. His dam has a nice udder from what I saw. He is out of quads, nursed them by herself, and he's a big boy. She has a much nicer medial, so hopefully Betty's (thats the doe I am getting) daughters will have nice medials :) Or at least better than their moms. Also wanting another buck next year so I will look for one who gives a bit of a smoother top line. Plus work on that medial ;) Overall I think she is a lovely doe.

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
She's got good body conformation and her udder capacity is good. If you can find a buck known for throwing a strong medial and good teat placement...you should see improvement. Her dam has a decent medial...could be stronger and her sire has thrown strong medials on the majority of my does. Her maternal half sisters all have good medials too. Unfortunately, I think it's just one of those things when you breed and sometimes you don't get what is expected. Hopefully with future freshenings, her medial will become more defined. I still like her capacity and think that medial correction won't be too hard especially since she hasn't come from generation after generation of weak medials...she just kind of popped up with it.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Kylee. I agree, looking at her dams udder, and others related to her, it's strange she didn't end up with a better medial! My current buck that I have, he has not bred any does yet so we'll see what happens if Betty gives me a doeling from him.. From what I could see from his dams udder (just saw pics, but none were close up) seemed nice.. So we'll see I guess!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts