The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a bag of medicated feed for my goats. There wasn't much to choose from and safe guard is not working here.

Can anyone tell me an alternate way to measure the feed?

The conversion is 1 lb per 100 lbs of goat.

I'll be checking their weights tomorrow but for instance, if one was 50 lbs, how many cups of feed would I need to give him?

I don't have a scale that I could weigh the lbs in, so if I can get it transferred into how many cups to feed, I could work with that. I've never dealt with pelleted wormer before.

Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
59,808 Posts
Medicated feed is usually for coccidia. Medicated feed is also a prevention, it will not help to get rid of parasites. What parasite are you trying to get rid of?

Also, no dewormer takes care of all parasites. I would suggest getting a fecal done to include coccidia and then treat appropriately

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's wormer. I don't have the bag with me to give specifics. It's back at the barn.

I'm worming them because the previous owner said they're due for a worming and they were just moved to a new place. I can't get a fecal done right away and I'd rather worm them with a general wormer and treat for specifics once I can get a fecal done.

I just need to know how to figure out the conversion. I suck at that kind of thing

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
It's wormer. I don't have the bag with me to give specifics. It's back at the barn.

I'm worming them because the previous owner said they're due for a worming and they were just moved to a new place. I can't get a fecal done right away and I'd rather worm them with a general wormer and treat for specifics once I can get a fecal done.

I just need to know how to figure out the conversion. I suck at that kind of thing
A cup is 8 oz's, so if it says to feed 1 lb/100 lbs then you would feed 1/2 lb - or one cup - for a goat weighing 50 lbs. I'm not sure that is accurate, though. That is why I always weigh my feed. I'm thinking you would be farther ahead to wait for the fecal, and get the wormer you need from your vet if you can't find it at feed stores, etc.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Unfortunately you have to weigh out the pellets first. Technically 1 pound is 16 oz which is 2 cups. But depending on the size of the pellets or density, l pound of your feed may not equal to 2 cups. It is the same reason why the company use weighing for feeding instruction and not cup size.
Sometimes you may get lucky and get 2 cups to a pound but it is not always the case.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I weighed every kind of pelleted feed I feed - goat alfalfa pellets and goat grower pellets - and they weighed out at what they should have after being measured. Didn't make any difference as to the size of the pellet - the measure is true to the weight.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts