Medicated goat feed info needed please!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by zatsdeb, Jan 19, 2008.

1. bigoakfarm

bigoakfarm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Kentucky
    I have to ask -even though I know that's not what this thread is about but I'm dying to know- How on earth did you wind up with that beautiful deer?

Kristen

2. zatsdeb

zatsdeb New Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Lincoln Illinois
    Lily just showed up one day, we tracked her owners down, they were about 2 miles away and didn't want her anymore. they used to have a miniature donkey and when it started getting nippy they got rid of it, well, he must have looked like my donkey and she came over here in with my donkey and stayed. she goes back and forth between the goats and donkey, they held her down with about 10 guys and cut the tag out of her ear so she was hard to get close to, now we can pet her while we feed her, but thats about it, so far. she jumps the fence to visit the neighbor who has big donkey, mule and horse and goats, but usually comes back after a week, maybe less sometimes.

3. luvmygoats

luvmygoats Guest

Dec 1, 2007
    that's an interesting question. Here is what we have learned over the years with our chickens and cocci. Amprolium is what is used in chicken feed to prevent cocci. It is a synthetic vitamin that works in the intestine and prevents the growth of the cocci protozoa. Decoquinate is what Blue seal uses in their goat feed. Also a synthetic molecule to prevent the growth of cocci. No withdrawl time.
    When we first started raising birds, we went with the medicated feeds. and had no problem with cocci. Many of our customers prefered birds that were raised without medication. So we put all our birds on nonmedicated feed. Very soon after we had a huge outbreak of cocci in our flock.
    We found that because the medicated feed prevented the growth of cocci in our birds it also prevented them from building their natural resistance to it. We now raise all our animals without medication. We keep them as clean as possible and watch them carefully especially in cocci season. That is in hot damp weather. It is very hard to help and animal to build resistance to cocci once they are raised on medicated feed. If you are going to take an animal off medicated feed, it would be best to do it in the winter. It is our belief that medicated feeds were made for the meat industry to address the problems they create when they overcrowd animals that are being raised for slaughter. Just my thoughts. Hope it helps.

Gina

4. Shelly

Shelly New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    California
    I don't feed medicate feed to my breeding stock. I do feed a medicate creep feed and show stock because they are stressed more. Are babies are sold for market shows or are show by my kids. Their are around other animals that I really don't now the health history of plus just the stress from being haul every couple of weeks. When their are no longer shown no more medicate feed. If we didn't show I wouldn't worry about it. Shelly

5. zatsdeb

zatsdeb New Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Lincoln Illinois
    after all the wonderful responses, research, and advice, we have decided not to feed the medicated feed. Especially since we have large pastures we rotate with the donkeys, and it is dry and we also milk the goats, I just don't feel comfortable with the medicated feed.
    I am glad I got such fast responses.
    I am looking forward to spring, and babies, and milking. My neighbor just had 2 goats kid, one had triplets and they lost 2 of them, but the second had twins but born during the day, it is pretty cold here, they have the heat lamps on the babies, and there are 3 babies. It just makes me excited for ours to come.
    Thanks again!!!
    Debbie

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    pleased to have been of service.

As to the kids - yah I am excited too. Loosing 2 must have been terrible for them!!!

7. marysmall

marysmall New Member

Jun 13, 2014
    would it be safe to feed medicated feed to my two pet wethers..just as a precaution?

8. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    I could be totally wrong here but I'll shoot :) I say yes especially if they are young. Now here comes the part of me that doesn't like to over do it on meds lol. At some point though they should come off of it. It's not impossible but it's not as easy for grown goats to get cocci. I had 12 cases of cocci in my kids last year and 4 this year so that's 16 and have not had a single grown goat get it. I even bought a scope once I figured out how crappy this whole cocci is. So I do give to my kids but not my adult goats :)

Sent from my iPhone using Goat Forum

9. marysmall

marysmall New Member

Jun 13, 2014
    my wethers are one and two years old..is medicated ok or should i stay with a sweet/ goat pellet mix?

10. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Marysmall if you start your own thread on this you will get more responses, this one is old.:)

11. marysmall

marysmall New Member

Jun 13, 2014
    sorry new to this site..wont bother you any more..will go back to my old site

12. loggyacreslivestock

loggyacreslivestock Well-Known Member

No bother, but when the thread comes up, people see the date and don't reply. Just go to forum, health management, then click on new thread. This way you will have your own thread and will get notifications when people post to it.::p:

13. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    No no no, tis no bother. Partly my fault because I could not start a new one for you & merge it.