The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have been giving my lamancha (6 months) and a alpine (4months) sweet feed but you all told me cut them back. So I have and been giving them free feed hay. My hubby brought home some medicated feed. Can I give them some of this and what's that for? I'm a new goat mommy so near with my ignorance. Also, someone mentioned to just get them some corn????My alpine has been screaming for his sweet feed back

·
14,615 Posts
Continue with their sweet feed. You can mix a little of the medicated in with but it needs to be done slowly.
Quick feed changes are disasterous on their rumen.
Corn is hard on them.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I agree with Nancy.

We feed out kids medicated goat pellets when we are weaning them. My dad also feeds it when he buys new calves in the fall. It helps with Cocci.

Also young goats do not adjust as well to food changes as older goats. My goats get animal cookies after something they don't like (deworming, hoof trimming). They love them, but it takes more work to get the kid goats to even try them.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
I give sweet feed, nothing wrong with a little sweet feed. All mine get it, but i make sure of 2 things... 1st I only buy sweet feed that has at least 12% protein (actually Nutrena sweet feed is 14% which is what I buy now) and that it has some copper and selinium in it. A lot of sweet feeds don't have any. I have sheep too so it must be an all stock feed mentioning sheep as well, as they are sensitive to copper. I look at the ingredients and see if I can pronounce them too. 2nd thing that sweet feed isn't the only thing they get. I feed it with spent brewery grain now, but will stop that as they don't seem to really like it, they will eat it, but it's not their favorite, and I have to buy 200 lbs at a time and it's wet. I give alfalfa and beet pulp pellets, I sometimes soak these if someone is having teeth issues, and then I give the actual goat feed mix to the milkers, bucks & kids. The wethers really don't need much, but they do get the alfalfa and beet pulp pellets which they love.

Straight corn I've heard is not good for them, but I don't have experience with it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wonderful information!! So should I use the medicated feed or no?? If there healthy then why give it to them right??

·
14,615 Posts
The rumensin or monensin in it a cocci preventative & the ammonium chloride to help prevent urinary calculi.
Since you opened it you might as well use it, however they wont be getting enough of these ingredients to make a big difference.
You can add it to your sweet feed; say they normally get 1 cup, the ratio to begin would be 1/4 of the new stuff for a few days. then a half a cup for another few days.

·
1,524 Posts
I believe that growing goats need the energy that grain provides. I would use the medicated feed. That's what I feed my kids until they are 6 months old. I can get the medicated feed in both sweet/textured or pellets. Mine actually prefer the pelleted feed over the sweet/textured.

·
Registered
905 Posts
We will not use feeds that they put medicine in, but if we accidentally bought it, I'd probably give them a little bit each day just to use it up. We feed an organic grain mix of oats, barley and a little bit of corn. There is a little vegetable oil on it, too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts