Medicating my coughing goats

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by moday, Feb 16, 2009.

1. moday

moday Member

Oct 10, 2007
    I spoke with my Vet about anti-biotics for my coughing goats, and he told me a couple things that I need help understanding.

He totally agreed with the suggested approach of an IVOMEC dose in case of lungworm. I treated them all yesterday, and my question #1 is when should I treat again?

Secondly, he recommended an anti-biotic. At first he mentioned Penicillin, and I told him that I had the large bottle of Neomyacin from Tractor Supply. He said to use that and follow the bottle directions. That is where my confusion comes in. It says 5 ml per 100 lbs, so does that mean to orally adminster than much Neomyacin solution with a syringe to the mouth? It said to do it as a drench, so I think that's what it means. The big question is, FOR HOW MANY TREATMENTS? I didn't realize how vague it would be on the bottle and I could not get a hold of the vet again.
    Any help or suggestions on this one? Thanks in advance!

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I have a bottle of Neomycine Oral Solution right here. So I looked at the lable and it says

dose at 10mg per pound of body weight in divided doses for a max of 14 days

can be given undeluted or deluted with water.

to provide 10mg per pound of body weight mix 5ml in water or milk for each 100lbs of body weight. administer daily either as as a drench in divided dosages or in the drinking water to be consued in 12-24 hours

Pounds of body weight amount per day in divided doses
    25lb 1.2ml (1/4 tsp)
    50lb 2.5ml (1/2 tsp)
    100lb 5 ml (1 tsp)
    then it gave higher weights and dosages

I hope that helps