The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What medications do i have to give to my goats so that they dont get sick.
does anyone know, and do i have to give them Medications. Thanks:eek:

·
Boer Lover 4 Life!
2,991 Posts
The CD/T vaccine is in my mind a requirement for all goats, however there are a few people who don't give the vaccine because they do all natural stuff or whatever. CD/T protects against enterotoxima types C and D and tetanus. Enterotoxima is a sickness that is usually caused by gorging on feed or milk. The goat will go down quickly and suddenly without warning and will die quickly without immediate treatment. Another annual thing that I recommend goat owners do is give BO-SE. BO-SE contains selenium and vitamin e to help the goat absorb the selenium. Goats need fairly high amounts of selenium which they may not be getting from their feed, hay, or free choice minerals. Copper is another essential element goats may not be getting from their environment. I recommend the cow boluses and breaking them up into your goats' dose then put those rods into another smaller capsule. They do make goat sized copper boluses if you don't want to mess with that, but if you have big goats it will take several of the small boluses to reach that goats' dose. Of course, alcohol, peroxide and 7% iodine are recommended for wound cleaning if your goats would ever get hurt. I have also found that something called cholrohexidine is a great wound cleaner. You can get that from your vet or even Walmart. The stuff from your vet will probably be a blue green color while the stuff from Walmart will be pink, but they are still almost the same product. I will let some other members give you some pointers. I need to go feed my goat. ;) Hope I helped!

·
14,615 Posts
As Kayla has stated, CDT is a good enterotoxemia & tetanus preventative.
BoSe great in selenium def areas.
Start with good loose mineral for goats with at least 1800 copper ppm.
The only times you will have to medicate is if they are running high or low temp & off feed.
Many of us keep meds on hand such as Nuflor & Pen G, Fortified B complex & thiamine.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you:cool:
:p

1 - 4 of 4 Posts