Medicine dosages

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by StaceyRosado, Oct 6, 2007.

1. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Pennicillin G - 1cc per 25lbs (must be given for 5 consecutive days. Miss a day and you have to start over) Can be given IM or SQ
    B Complex - 1cc per 20lbs given IM or orally. If giving orally double the dosage - can't overdose so more is better
    LA 200 - 1cc per 25lbs (especially effective against respiratory infections) Given IM - does sting

Feel free to add to this via replies with any med dosages
  2. getchagoat (Julie)

getchagoat (Julie) New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Waco, KY
    Nuflor - 3cc per 100# (antibiotic)
    Red Cell - 15cc 2x/day orally (anemia)
    BoSe <Selenium> - 1cc per 40# SQ adults, 1/2cc newborns orally
    Thiamin - 500 mg/ml (Look at your bottle to see how much it has per cc to get the full 500 mg/ml)[/b]

3. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    Sulmet: 1cc per 5 lbs for the first day and then 1cc per 10 lbs for 4 more days.
  4. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    What gauge of needle to you recommend using? The medical care kit I have has half a dozen different sizes, but no recommendation as to which to use for what medicine....... and/or whether it's SQ or IM.

Thanks in advance - mmm
  5. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    I preferr to use a 22 gage needle that is 3/4" long because it works well for both SQ and IM.

With SQ you don't want a very long needle because you can go right back through the skin accidentally.

20 gage isn't a bad size either but I preferr the smaller 22 gage
  6. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    Thanks for the info, Stacey. Does the gauge size matter depending on what med you're using? Someone suggested 18 gage for Pennicilin G, but looking at the size of the needle...... I thought I better ask first.

No impending problems with the goaties..... I was just taking inventory of the med cabinet & wanted to pair the proper needles w/the proper med.
  7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    I use 22 gage with my Pen G but others think it is to thick of a med for such a small needle.

I have not had any issues though.

18 gage is way to big for me to feel comfortable using - I get squeemish!
  8. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Excenel 1cc per 50#
    Banamine 1cc per 100#
    Liquid sulfa 1cc per 5# day one, 1cc per 10# days two through five.
  9. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Great post Stacey!

I prefere to use an 18 gage needle for most things, but i have full sized dairy goats. I do keep some 20 and 22 gage needles in the box. Mostly one inch needles some half inch for kids. Sometimes there isnt much to poke on newborns.
  10. tat2edlady

tat2edlady New Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Lexington, NC
    Ok what are the different meds used for and is it something I should have on hand.I would like to post the answers in goat barn next to med cab. for quick look up.

Thank you,Mindy
  11. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    LA 200
    Are among the most commonly used antibiotics

Sulmet is a sulfa drug used to treat coccidia
    Banamine is a pain reliever

B-complex, Thiamine, BoSe are among the list as some goats need a boost if the natural levels in their systems are depleted due to the above drugs or the illness it is being treated for
  12. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    I use a 20 gauge 1/2inch needle for most injections. For blood draw or IV drugs I use a 20 gauge 1 1/2 inch needle.

Epinephrine: 1cc per 100lbs SQ
  13. ASTONs Dairy

ASTONs Dairy Member

Aug 14, 2012
    South Carolina
    Wonderful thread, but what are the milk withholding times for the medications listed here. I use 18 gauge 1 inch for sq and IM for goats and 18 gauge 1 1/2" IM & 1" sq. for horses. Haven't had to draw blood yet. In thinking about this thread I have another question. How do you all dispose of needles and syringes after use. I have worked in the medical field for years and in a medical office or hospital they are disposed of in red bio hazard containers for pick up by a bio hazard disposal company.
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  14. mjgh06

mjgh06 New Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Middle Georgia
    From my website:

Hope it's not to much here. ;)

Goat Meds – A useful list of medicines, their benefits, and dosages arranged alphabetically.

(The following is for informational purposes only. Please always check with your local vet for administration and dosages) For wormers or antibiotics – please see those pages. Also check out our B1/B12 article and Magic Balls recipe.

Albon – *see also Dimethox 12.5% liquid * Five day treatment to treat Coccidiosis- you must treat the full five days. Day one: 1 ml per 5 pounds- given orally. Days 2-5: 1 ml per 10 pounds- given orally.

Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) – place in water to help acidify the urine and prevent formation of calculi in bucks and will also will help decrease algae in the container

Aspirin – used for fever and inflammation. Dose 325mg (1 adult aspirin) per 10 lbs.

Banamine – Always take temp prior to giving, if temp is low do NOT give. It is used for fever, smooth muscle relaxant, pain reliever and to stimulate the rumen. Dose 1 cc per 100 lbs body weight IM, but can be used at a rate of 1/2 cc per 25-30 lbs body weight if necessary. Keep refrigerated.

Baking soda – Leave out free choice for regular rumen care. Also for emergency treatment for bloat. Dose – 1 Tbsp in 30cc water as drench.

Benadryl – Antihistamine, for minor allergic reactions such as bites, coughs, and nasal decongestant. Over the counter dose 1tsp/ 5cc for kids and 2-4 tsp/10-20cc for adults.

Beer (dark malt is best)- It is used for bloat. Dose one can.

Betadine solution -for wounds; apply externally

Blue cohosh – contains uterine contracting material, and works like oxytocin without the harmful effect. As a tincture form dose directly on the tongue, 15-20 drops 3-4 times a day.

Bose – given for selenium deficiency; dose 1cc/40lbs twice a year sq or IM. We so not use this for kids as an overdose can kill.

Calcium gluconate 10% (100mg/ml) It is used to treat milk fever, pregnancy toxemia, and ketosis. This must be given IV only at 5-15mg during a 10min span. It is caustic to tissue if given IM or sq.

Charcoal Fish aquarium – 4-6 oz to treat poisonings. It binds with poison to remove from system. Dose as a top off to feed or mixed with water or liquid laxative. If used with water or as top feed, follow with a laxative.

Chlortrimeton – OTC for colds and coughs similar to Benadryl without drowsy effect. Dose– 5cc for kids and 10-20cc for adults.

Corral and Sevin dust– can be used on non lactating does and bucks only – do not use on kids. For adults sprinkle on and rub in. Apply second dose 10 days later.

Dimetapp -OTC for colds and coughs. Dose 3-5cc for newborns – 2wks in age; 4-6 tsps for adults

Dimethox 12.5% liquid – *see also Albon* – To treat a herd that is already infected with coccidian. Dose administer 3 to 5 cc’s of undiluted liquid Di-Methox 12.5% orally to each kid daily for five consecutive days; adults 8 to 10 cc’s. Preventative dosage is usually one-half the curative dose; read product labels.

Dopram – It eliminates respiratory distress in newborns caused by troubled births, and to stimulate lung activity. Dosage is to drop 2/10 cc under kid’s tongue immediately upon birth. Keep refrigerated.

Epinephrine – Used as a counter shock. A MUST Have for every goat medicine cabinet. Dose 1 cc SQ per 100 pounds body weight.

Enemas – Useful for constipation and toxicity reactions, including Floppy Kid Syndrome. Other uses: If you have a baby girl born with vagina turned out, use a children’s enema rectally to move her bowels and the vagina will most times return to normal position.

Formalin (10% buffered formaldehyde) – This is used to off label to treat CL and hoof rot. Please see the following website for more information –

Gas X (or generic brands) – used for bloat. Dose 1-2 tablets every 2-4 hours; Liquid form 1-2 capfuls.

Geritol – It is used for anemia. Dose 1Tbsp every day for 2-3 days.

Kitten flea and tick powder used for lice treatment in kids. Sprinkle from head to tail and rub in. Dose once and then again in 10days.

Kopertox – OTC product used to treat hoof rot and hoof scald. Dose topically as needed.

Listerine – It is used to treat ear mites and to clean the ear. Dose 1 capful – dip qtips in solution and cleanse inside of ear, wipe out with tissue.

Milk of Magnesia – Useful for constipation and toxicity reactions, including Floppy Kid Syndrome. Dose as oral drench 15 cc per 60 lbs.

Mineral Oil – Useful for ear mites by placing 2-4 drops in ear canal.

Molasses/Karo Syrup – Useful for ketosis in does and as an energy boost. Dose at 5-6 cc orally twice a day for ketosis. Magic Energy drench – 1part Molasses, 1pt Corn Syrup, 1pt Corn Oil – Administer orally. ***Also see our famous Magic Balls recipe for goats who are acting out of sorts – also good as a mood booster***

Neosporin (or generic) – antibiotic ointment . Used for scrapes and small wounds. Apply as you would a human.

Nuflor (Florfenicol) – Used to treat pneumonia. Administer IM every other day for a maximum of three injections. Use Luer Lock syringes. Dosage is 1 cc per 25 lbs. of body weight, no more than 3cc per 100lbs. Keep refrigerated.

Pepto-Bismol – Helps control diarrhea in kids under one month old. Use up to 2 cc every four to six hours for newborns; 5 cc for kids approaching one month old. Follow up with Probiotic Power

Probiotic Power or generic – Used to return normal flora in gut. Dosage for sickly goats or goats just not up to par is 3 to 5 Tbs as a top feed. ***Also see Magic Balls recipe***

Redcell- Is used to treat anemia and as a vitamin /iron supplement. Dose 6cc per 100lbs orally.

Robitussin – Used for coughs and colds. Dose 3-5cc for newborns – 2wks in age; 4-6 tsps for adults.

Slippery elm – Helps stop diarrhea and coats the stomach and intestines. Dose 1 tsp mixed with yogurt or probiotics and electrolytes so it can be drenched. Give 5-6 times over the day until diarrhea stops.

Sulfaquinoxaline 20% as a drench- Used to treat Coccidiosis. Dose 2ml/50lbs by mouth for 5 days.

Sulmet 12.5% – Prevents or treats Coccidiosis. Dose as prevention 1cc of solution per 5lbs of goats day 1 and 1 cc per 10 lbs of goats for day 4 thru 5 as a prevention (spring and fall each year); as treatment you must treat a full five days. Day one: 1cc/5lbs; Days 2-5: 1cc/10lbs given orally.

Tagamet- Used to treat Coccidiosis. Dose- One 200mg tablet given 1 a day for 3-5 days; kids get ½ tablet.

Tavist D – Treats colds and coughs. Dose 3-5cc for newborns – 2wks in age; 4-6 tsps for adults.

To-Day (cephapirin sodium) – Over-the-counter product for mastitis treatment. Milk out the bad milk/pus/blood and infuse one tube of To-Day into each infected udder for a minimum of two consecutive days.

Tylan 200 (tylosin) – Used to treat respiratory problems. Use 1 cc per 25 lbs. body weight for five consecutive days intramuscularly (IM). Keep refrigerated.

Vitamin C – Helps acidify the urine and relieve congested udder. Dose urine acidifier – 250mg tablet 4x day; congested udder – five 500mg tablets 2x day.

Vitamin E – Works with selenium and is essential for tissue, muscular and udder health. Used as a supplement before kidding. Dose 500 to 1000 iu as top feed daily.

Vitamin B1 Thiamine – Used to treat goat polio, rumen productivity and provides increased energy. Dose—250mg B1 tablets – 2 tablets the first hour, 1 tablet in six hours after first dose, then 1 tablet twice a day for five days. ***see are B1 and B12 article***

Vitamin B12 Cobalt – Treats listeria, anemia , stress, and as an appetite stimulant; Dose – 2000mcg B12 tablets – 2 tablets the first hour, 1 tablet in six hours after first dose, then 1 tablet twice a day for five days. ***see are B1 and B12 article*** Keep refrigerated.

Yogurt Plain – to help replace the normal flora in the rumen after rumen problems like bloat and after giving antibiotics. Dose–give about 1/4 cup 2-3 times a day for 3-5 days
    Dwarf Dad likes this.
  15. mjgh06

mjgh06 New Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Middle Georgia

Brand Names: Ivomec injectable for Cattle & Swine 1% Sterile Solution (Merck); Double Impact Injectable for Cattle & Swine 1% Sterile Solution (Agrilabs) Generic Name: Ivermectin
    Goat dose: Do not inject this wormer. It is given orally on a goat. 1ml per 50 pounds- given orally. Milk withholding time: 14 days. Ivomec/Invermectin are safe for use in pregnant does.

Brand Names: Dectomax – injectable & pour-on; Generic Name: doramectin 1% injectable, doramectin 0.5% pour-on
    Goat dose: Do not inject this wormer. It is given orally on a goat. Pour-On: 1 ml per 10 lbs – given orally, Injectable: 1 ml per 35 lbs – given orally; Milk withholding time: 36 days

Brand Names: Eprinex; Generic Name: eprinomectin 5mg
    Goat dose: Pour-On: 1 ml per 10 lbs; Milk withholding time: None

Brand Names: Valbazen Cattle & Sheep Dewormer Suspension (Pfizer) Generic Name: albendazole 11.36%
    Goat dose: 1 ml per 10 pounds- given orally; Milk withholding time: 5 days; not safe for pregnant does.

Brand Names: Safeguard, Panacur Generic Name: fenbendazole (Not very Effective due to overuse in USA)
    Goat dose: If using the horse or cattle version, give 4 times the recommended dose orally; treat for tapeworms – three days in a row; Milk withholding time: 4 days; Safe for use in pregnant does.

Brand Names: Tramisole, Levasol; Generic Name: levamisole (Death occurs when overdosed)
    Goat dose: Injection of Tramisol 13.65% is given SQ at the rate of 2ml/100lbs; Oral: 2 tablets/100 lbs. Milk withholding time: 4 days; Safe in pregnant animals.

Brand Names: Cydectin; Generic Name: moxidectin (DO NOT USE AS POUR ON)
    Goat dose: Cydectin- given orally 1cc per 20-25 lbs; Not safe for pregnant does; keep away from skin.

Brand Names: Synanthic, Benzelmin (horse) Generic Name: oxfendazole
    Goat dose: Oral 2x – 3x the label dosage To treat for tape worms, you need to give the above treatment three days in a row, Do not use in pregnant animals.
  16. Abra

Abra Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Wasilla, Alaska

With Regard to the Selenium (a good friend gave me some Selenium / Vitamin E Oral Gel). Is that something that should be administered daily? For how long?

(I have 3 newborns with foot-problems, this was one of the suggestions I was told to inquire about)
  17. lionheart931

lionheart931 New Member

May 12, 2013
    How many days for OXY? just 3 or can I do more?
  18. lionheart931

lionheart931 New Member

May 12, 2013
    run out of TODAY and before I go and buy more of it.......I read some where that people use Penicilin to unfuse into the udder/tit.any help with that?yana
  19. Ober-Achievers

Ober-Achievers Junior Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Dixon, CA
    20 or 22 ga needles work for most meds. Use 18 ga for penicillin because it's thick and difficult to push through the smaller gauge needles.
  20. OwnedByTheGoats

OwnedByTheGoats Well, my username says it all... :)

Mar 6, 2013
    What about tetanus antitoxin?