The Goat Spot Forum banner

21 - 40 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Banamine, 0.3cc for 6 - 8 pound baby. I used an 18 guage to draw and a 20 guage to admin SQ. We have a possible broken leg or dislocated hip - but won't know until tomorrow when we see the vet.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Wormers

Brand Names: Ivomec injectable for Cattle & Swine 1% Sterile Solution (Merck); Double Impact Injectable for Cattle & Swine 1% Sterile Solution (Agrilabs) Generic Name: Ivermectin
Goat dose: Do not inject this wormer. It is given orally on a goat. 1ml per 50 pounds- given orally. Milk withholding time: 14 days. Ivomec/Invermectin are safe for use in pregnant does.

Brand Names: Cydectin; Generic Name: moxidectin (DO NOT USE AS POUR ON)
Goat dose: Cydectin- given orally 1cc per 20-25 lbs; Not safe for pregnant does; keep away from skin.
I use Ivomec 1% injectable orally at the rate of 1mL/34lbs with no problems.

They now make a Cydectin Sheep Drench. I use it at 1mL/10lbs and have used it in pregnant does and know a breeder who uses it in pregnant ewes with no problems.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Put the needles and syringes in a empty bleach bottle when it is full put about 1 cup of bleach. Shake it up, write biohazard on it and throw it in the trash. When I worked for a vet this is what we did with all of our needles and syringes.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Goat Forum mobile app

·
Registered
963 Posts
It depends where u live ..... We have to put in either a sharps container or a tide bottle only and drop off at hazardous waste drop at the dump.... I worked as a recycler at our transfer site and can say it is very dangerous because of people throwing syringes in dump ..... The series of shots a person has to go through if stuck by a needle is crazy and scary

·
Registered
380 Posts
I would like to say I love love love this site. TONS of knowledge here. Thanks for posting!

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Goat Forum mobile app

·
Registered
112 Posts
Wormers

Brand Names: Ivomec injectable for Cattle & Swine 1% Sterile Solution (Merck); Double Impact Injectable for Cattle & Swine 1% Sterile Solution (Agrilabs) Generic Name: Ivermectin
Goat dose: Do not inject this wormer. It is given orally on a goat. 1ml per 50 pounds- given orally. Milk withholding time: 14 days. Ivomec/Invermectin are safe for use in pregnant does.

Brand Names: Dectomax - injectable & pour-on; Generic Name: doramectin 1% injectable, doramectin 0.5% pour-on
Goat dose: Do not inject this wormer. It is given orally on a goat. Pour-On: 1 ml per 10 lbs - given orally, Injectable: 1 ml per 35 lbs - given orally; Milk withholding time: 36 days

Brand Names: Eprinex; Generic Name: eprinomectin 5mg
Goat dose: Pour-On: 1 ml per 10 lbs; Milk withholding time: None

Brand Names: Valbazen Cattle & Sheep Dewormer Suspension (Pfizer) Generic Name: albendazole 11.36%
Goat dose: 1 ml per 10 pounds- given orally; Milk withholding time: 5 days; not safe for pregnant does.

Brand Names: Safeguard, Panacur Generic Name: fenbendazole (Not very Effective due to overuse in USA)
Goat dose: If using the horse or cattle version, give 4 times the recommended dose orally; treat for tapeworms - three days in a row; Milk withholding time: 4 days; Safe for use in pregnant does.

Brand Names: Tramisole, Levasol; Generic Name: levamisole (Death occurs when overdosed)
Goat dose: Injection of Tramisol 13.65% is given SQ at the rate of 2ml/100lbs; Oral: 2 tablets/100 lbs. Milk withholding time: 4 days; Safe in pregnant animals.

Brand Names: Cydectin; Generic Name: moxidectin (DO NOT USE AS POUR ON)
Goat dose: Cydectin- given orally 1cc per 20-25 lbs; Not safe for pregnant does; keep away from skin.

Brand Names: Synanthic, Benzelmin (horse) Generic Name: oxfendazole
Goat dose: Oral 2x - 3x the label dosage To treat for tape worms, you need to give the above treatment three days in a row, Do not use in pregnant animals.
Question on this/ I'd previously been told NOT to give Ivomec orally in goats because it can kill the worms too quickly in the stomach, causing bleeding, and at the same time doesn't stay in the system long enough to kill anything outside of the stomach. *Im NOT arguing with you lol* Im just trying to clarify since I've now heard both warnings now and since Im planning on switching to this wormer I'd like to know. I don't have enough experience to have an opinion or know for myself.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Question on this/ I'd previously been told NOT to give Ivomec orally in goats because it can kill the worms too quickly in the stomach, causing bleeding, and at the same time doesn't stay in the system long enough to kill anything outside of the stomach. *Im NOT arguing with you lol* Im just trying to clarify since I've now heard both warnings now and since Im planning on switching to this wormer I'd like to know. I don't have enough experience to have an opinion or know for myself.
I've always been told that, as a general rule, give Ivermectin orally. The exceptions being mites and in an animal with an extremely high worm load, those are injected the first is to work better against the external parasites and the other is to kill worms off slower and not overload the animal with dead and dying worms.
It is a partially a personal preference there are people who always inject and others who always give it orally with no problems. I personally prefer to give it orally.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Thanks!! That actually makes sense! Since I've got the needles for it, I think I'll inject the first time, then do oral 10 days later for the follow up. Spring is here and if using as an injection helps with mites/external parasites it wouldn't hurt the first time around. Better safe than surprised by iching as weather warms up. lol Thank you again, I don't know where I'd be without this site!:D

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a almost 3 week old Pygmy starting a cold. Nulfor I might be able to get but anything else I can give.?.?. Should I give the daily penicillin or the Dura Pen long lasting. LA-200 or what?... I would like to not have to stick her every day with a needle for she is Tiny maybe 3-5 pounds... I was told I could give her SMZ 960 tab one orally or Ampicillin but I have capsules in those. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Last one I was able to get Nulfor, but vet is out of town.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I gave mine children's liquid claritin. He was getting a cold and had bad runny eyes. Gave him 1cc everyday for about a week. Cleared him up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Can someone please tell me how many mls per kilo of ivermectin pour-on to treat full sized wether goat...my vet wont give me pour-on to use as its not on the ivomec label....and i'm far far away from another vet, :(
He has lice/mites....
my goat is my friend, and i want to take care of his needs, ....:think:

·
Registered
6 Posts
yep, i wanted only enuf for one goat, thats why i thought my local Vet would sell me just the right amount, but as they told me "its Off-Label, so we dont dispense it for Goats", (even tho i have seen lots of you guys state that you use it perfectly safely, and it works!!!)
Still, they have their rules i suppose :/
Meanwhile i have tried Pestine Powder etc etc, wormed Internally, which is supposed to do External as well, but doesnt!?, and i am not good at Injections, so thought i would do the right thing by my ol' fella, & me, by using the IVERMECTIN Pour-On... but its THE DOSE RATE i need, and will just have to buy the 1litre bottle from the Produce store... (that should do me, him & lots of my friends goats as well...lol)
Really appreciate your input, i am a newbie to the site, and still working out how to use it, many thx, Glenda (& Koolie-Big gentle Giant Wether)

·
Super Moderator
58,899 Posts
You can buy the injectable and give it orally. You would need a syringe and needle to draw it up but then remove the needle to give orally. It is 1cc per 33 lbs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks again for response..... is it OK (safe) to give an INJECTABLE medication to my goat 'ORALLY'?...Is this DIFFERENT to normal Ivermectin?
...as i havent had any result from giving him ORAL Ivermectin, already?
This didnt have any affect on the EXTERNAL PARASITES (LICE/MITES)
You can tell i am not too experienced & want to be certain, i dont want to harm him. even tho he's 'tuff as an old goat' :D
He has been 'temporarily minded on a friends property' while i moved house & been exposed to all sorts of things, my mistake, never again :(

·
Super Moderator
58,899 Posts
I don't know what you consider normal ivermectin. The injectable is 1%. You do need to dose it correctly. You could also dust him with Sevin or Python dust.

·
Registered
6 Posts
By 'NORMAL' IVERMECTIN ...i mean NORMAL ORAL IVERMECTIN DRENCH, not INJECTION SOLUTION, OR IS IT THE SAME SOLUTION?
I KNOW THAT THE POUR-ON HAS A CARRIER LIQUID OF SOME KIND TO HELP IT TO ABSORB INTO THE SKIN, SO CANNOT BE GIVEN 'ORALLY'
*BUT ARE YOU SAYING I CAN GIVE THE INJECTABLE IVERMECTIN TO HIM ORALLY?
IF SO, IS THIS THE SAME AS THE ORAL DRENCH IVERMECTION, OR
DOES IT HAVE A DIFFERENT CHEMICAL MAKE-UP FOR INJECTING, AND THEREFORE SHOULDNT BE GIVEN ORALLY?

ALSO...WHAT DOES 1% MEAN?

AM I MAKING ANY SENSE TO ANYONE?

·
Super Moderator
58,899 Posts
Yes you can give injectable orally. I gave you the dosage above. 1% means there is 1% ivermectin in it. Not the same dosage as the drench. Never used the drench so don't know what the drench dosage should be.

·
Registered
6 Posts
THANKS KAREN, I DO APPRECIATE YOUR HELP & GUIDANCE :)
MY PROBLEM IS I CANNNOT GET THE IVERMECTIN FROM THE VET, AND SO HE MOST DEFINITELY WONT DISPENSE THE 'INJECTABLE' IVERMECTIN TO ME, AS HE STATES THAT IVERMECTIN IS NOT 'ON-LABEL' FOR GOATS, SO ITS FUTILE TRYING TO DO ANYTHING BUT USE THE 'POUR-ON' IN THE CORRECT DOSE.....IF I CAN FIND IT IN A CONTAINER LESS THAN 5 LITRES?!
YES, WE HAVE SOME STUPID LAWS HERE, AND ONE OF THEM IS THIS.
LIKE I SAID... I HAVE SEEN & HEARD OF SO MANY GOATOWNERS USING THE IVERMECTIN, WITH NO HARM DONE AND GOOD RESULTS IF USED WISELY, SO WHY THE VETS etc REFUSE TO USE/SELL IT FOR GOATS I JUST DONT KNOW, ITS AS IF THEY THINK GOATS DONT EXIST IN AUSTRALIA, OR DONT GET WORMS, MITES/LICE?!!!
IT MAKES ME SO FRUSTRATED AS IT DOESNT LEAVE US MUCH OF ANYTHING TO USE FOR THE GOATS, AS I KNOW OF NOTHING ELSE EITHER. IF THE SEASON WASNT CONSTANT RAIN & ICY WIND HERE AT PRESENT I WOULD GIVE THEM BOTH A PARASITE 'WASH', BUT ITS FAR TOO COLD & RISKY, BECAUSE OF THEIR AGES...THEY SHOULDNT EVEN HAVE EXTERNAL PARASITES IN THIS WEATHER?!
I WILL CONTINUE WITH THE 'PESTINE' POWDER etc, UNTIL I CAN FIND SOME POUR-ON IVERMECTIN, AND I BELIEVE I HAVE WORKED OUT THE RIGHT DOSE FOR 'POUR-ON' (EXTERNAL USE).......
THANKS FOR YOUR PATIENCE & EDUCATIONAL INPUT, IT MATTERS,
I WILL LET YOU KNOW HOW I GO... GLENDA
:shrug::pray::hair::scratch:

·
Trembling Goat Farm
51 Posts
Pennicillin G - 1cc per 25lbs (must be given for 5 consecutive days. Miss a day and you have to start over) Can be given IM or SQ
B Complex - 1cc per 20lbs given IM or orally. If giving orally double the dosage - can't overdose so more is better
LA 200 - 1cc per 25lbs (especially effective against respiratory infections) Given IM - does sting

Feel free to add to this via replies with any med dosages
Stacey,

The bottle I have reads 1ml for every 100# Should I be giving more?

21 - 40 of 103 Posts