The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally found a baby goat perfect for me she has everything I was looking for, blue eyes, amazing colors, she’s disbudded, she comes from a clean tested herd, her mother came from a little of 5 and she came from a little of 4 so her chances of having multiples are high!!!
She’s 5 weeks old now so I have to wait a few weeks to go get her , I’m so excited!!!!
I have a question though, the owner said she is able to be registered, but then her price goes up quite a bit, none of my other goats are registered should get her registered? What are the advantages of getting a goat registered?

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
She is a really beautiful color. Here is what you must ask yourself. What are you going to do when she isvregistered? Do registered goats sell waaier in your area?

·
Registered
281 Posts
She’s beautiful!
Personally, I find a lot of advantages to registering them. Not only do you get their entire family tree and background, but you can also continue those lines to improve your herd. Ex: if you have milking goats, you can improve their udders and the amount of milk you get.
Also as stated, if you breed her with a registered buck and register the kids, you can get more money for them. A win win, in my opinion. You’ll definitely make back the initial cost of her.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
Or ADGA. Most of my Nigerians are double registered, both AGS and ADGA. Usually registered goats bring better money. With the registrations you can track pedigrees and plan breedings. Without papers how do you know if that doe is closely related to your buck? However, the final choice is up to you. Once you buy as grade, you can usually never go back to that kid being registered and it will be forever a grade goat.

There are several breeds that can be registered, even as grades. Nigerian Dwarfs are not one of them. They have to be purebred in order to be registered, no "breeding up". With registration, you can also breed your Nigerian buck to standard does and get Minis of the standard breed. They would be registered with MDGA (Miniature Dairy Goat Association). Minis seem to be gaining in popularity as great home milkers, smaller than the standards, larger than the Nigerians, but with udders that hold way more milk than Nigerians, larger teats, easier to handle and eat less.

Reactions: FizzyGoats

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Or ADGA. Most of my Nigerians are double registered, both AGS and ADGA. Usually registered goats bring better money. With the registrations you can track pedigrees and plan breedings. Without papers how do you know if that doe is closely related to your buck? However, the final choice is up to you. Once you buy as grade, you can usually never go back to that kid being registered and it will be forever a grade goat.

There are several breeds that can be registered, even as grades. Nigerian Dwarfs are not one of them. They have to be purebred in order to be registered, no "breeding up". With registration, you can also breed your Nigerian buck to standard does and get Minis of the standard breed. They would be registered with MDGA (Miniature Dairy Goat Association). Minis seem to be gaining in popularity as great home milkers, smaller than the standards, larger than the Nigerians, but with udders that hold way more milk than Nigerians, larger teats, easier to handle and eat less.
Thanks, but I think I’m going to skip getting her registered, hopefully nobody gets mad at me. I don’t feel I should and need to get her registered. 1 because the seller is asking double the price if I get her registered and as a 15 year old I cannot really afford to spend that much because I’m already buying everything for my goats and as everyone knows goats and the stuff you need for goats isn’t cheap. 2 because I just want a pet I don’t have the knowledge or anyone to help me to help better her kids pedigree by breeding her to a good buck with a good pedigree and other registered stuff like that. 3 I just have a little hobby farm and I don’t milk my goats, I just try to take care of them the best I can, raise a few of their babies, and enjoy life with goats. So this is my decision, maybe I’ll regret not getting her registered down the road but I just want some love able pets and have fun raising the little trouble makers😋

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
You need to do what works best for you, so I doubt anyone here will judge your decision not to get her registered. And she is such an amazing color! Congratulations on finding your perfect goat.

I have 3 ND doelings, all registered but I’m putting off getting my own ADGA account and transferring the registrations to me because I hear it’s pretty much a mess because they switched to a different system. I know I need to do it, but I’m dragging my feet right now. So definitely no judgment here.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You need to do what works best for you, so I doubt anyone here will judge your decision not to get her registered. And she is such an amazing color! Congratulations on finding your perfect goat.

I have 3 ND doelings, all registered but I’m putting off getting my own ADGA account and transferring the registrations to me because I hear it’s pretty much a mess because they switched to a different system. I know I need to do it, but I’m dragging my feet right now. So definitely no judgment here.
That’s another reason I didn’t want to register her because I didn’t want to deal with the adga system. I can’t wait to get her in two weeks 🤗

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Yeah...no judgment here. I frankly don't care at all if my goats are registered, as long as they're healthy and productive. I do have some registerable kids this year that I'll probably go ahead and register at some point, as some people do really care about having registered animals, and I figure it will increase their chances of finding a good home if I ever sell them. But just me, personally? I don't care.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts