Meet my new girl Starlight! *photo update*

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by Crissa, May 26, 2008.

1. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    I traded Thor the wether for this little girl. She is current on all vaccinations and has been wormed. She's a 2 year old bay quarter horse filly and is easy to handle. She's thin because she was rescued from someone who left her on a dry lot and fed her hay once or twice a week. Her name is Starlight.

[​IMG]

So what do you think?

2. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Re: Meet my new girl Starlight!

You said she wasn't pretty- she's drop dead gorgeous. But you right -she is very very thin. Have you talked to anyone about feedup up a starving horse? You need to be careful about it as their stomachs need lots of small meals for awhile.

3. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska

she's very pretty! with some more muscle and after she's filled out, she should be amazing!

4. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma

Thanks! I was told she wasn't the prettiest thing in the world but I saw her and that's exactly what I thought! I'll have to get a picture of her face closer though, because she has a real bad scar on her forehead and her ears are frostbitten off.

And yes the lady that will be boarding her for me is going to help me feed her carefully. I'm trading work for her board. Including helping to break her 2 year old colt. :shrug:

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

that sounds like a nice trade both ways around.

I to think she is just beautiful.

6. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma

Thanks Stacey! I'm already head over heels for her. :love:

7. Hailee's Herd

Hailee's Herd New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Michigan

:drool:
    Congrats on getting her Crissa!!! You are soooo lucky. :) :thumb:

8. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma

Thanks Hailee! :greengrin:

9. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa

She is a pretty little thing!!!! Once you get some weight on her she will be just gorgeous!! Best of luck!

10. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC

She is a gorgeous filly, she could definitely use some weight put on her though. Congratulations!

11. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma

Thank you so much! What's funny is Nikki's (the lady that is boarding her for me) colt is absolutely infatuated with Star! And it turns out she's in her two year old heat. :roll: Good thing they're seperated for now!

12. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas

Oh Crissa - I am so happy that you got your horse!!! Have a blast with her and keep us updated on your progress with her!

13. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma

Thanks Allison! I will definitely keep you all updated on her progress. I found one bad thing already though, she will pick her feet up but she won't let me clean them with the hoof pick. She will lean onto me until I absolutely have to let go. Any suggestions?

14. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois

She is so pretty Crissa!! I think she'll be a great horse :)

15. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa

My colt did that too, he couldn't balance very well on 3 feet and leaned on me. He did that even when he was 3-4 years old. He just couldn't keep his balance very well like that. It all stopped when he turned 5 though. I wouldn't worry about it :greengrin:

16. deenak

deenak New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Ames Iowa

Starlight will get used to having her hooves picked out. She probably hasn't been groomed regularly if she wasn't fed on a regular basis. Our old horse leans into us when we pick out his feet because it makes him more comfortable. Well thats what we tell ourselves anyway. Starlight has a good home now and that is the important thing!!

17. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma

Thanks for the reassurance everyone. She actually walked up to me yesterday when I went in the pen! That made me feel so great! She wouldn't even walk up to her former owner. She also ran the fenceline with that colt and kicked up her heels so she's already feeling better. :leap:

18. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca

Re: the leaning thing- this is going to be hard to explain but- I never even try to hold the foot up for a horse- they have to hold it up themselves- I'm there just to hold it steady to pick.
    The trick is not to even go there- if she starts to lean on you, attempt to keep the foot flexed up at the fetlock but allow her to sink down til she is resting her weight on the folded back hoof- so that she rests her weight on the toe with the foot cocked. OOOO- that's not so good. She will probably pick it right up. Then to make sure she doesn't think this is a way of getting her own way, you HAVE to catch her foot up as soon as she starts to lift it back up.
    You can also give a sudden little drop down on the hoof as she starts to lean- she will probably jerk it back up when she feels it falling-you just don't hold her up- I usually give a little jiggle to the foot immediately that I feel any weight on it then immediately go back to picking it out. In other words she should not feel the security of a nice steady human to push against. Give away but don't let the foot go- the minute she starts to pick it up-go back to picking. If you lose the foot, don't stand there glaring at her- just make her give it to you again -fast. No reward until the jobs done- once picked then a pat, a "good girl" and a moment of peace before hitting the next foot.
    The other thing is to remember that until she is stronger, give her lots of rests - don't insist on her holding up that foot for a long time. So you have to pick it back up 2 or 3 times- this is her education for the rest of her life.

The magic rule of horses is that they are stronger, you are smarter and the issue is decided by who is the most persistant.

19. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Thanks ETR. That helps a TON! :)

Look at the progress we've already made with her! :love:
    [​IMG]

See how small she is for a 2 year old though? :(

20. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yes she is small but I wouldn't worry about it too much. Now that she is getting good food and nutrition she should grow some more and put on weight for you. Congrats! :dance: