The Goat Spot Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks. I know she should end up hitting her growth spurt once she gets her health back up.

But I really cannot believe I actually got on her today! I'm so happy! She was a little antsy about it, but all she did was side step a little, that's it! I'm going to get her used to this before she gets the energy back up to really feel like fighting a whole lot.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Waaaa- I couldn't see the picture- it was too dark- all I could pick out was your profile and the horse's ears.
I've been having that trouble lately with pictures being too dark to see- Does this mean I should be doing something with my computer?

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
try adjusting the brightness of your screen. usually there are buttons or something to "roll" at the bottom of the moniter or just under it. That will help you view pictures better - sounds like a new moniter is in your future.

nice progress - who is that holding her for you?

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Sorry ETR. :( I hope you can see it sometime. (I might play with the brightness on it later for ya)

Stacey- That's my friend Tim holding her for me. He insisted on me getting on her. :roll:

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
When you pick up her feet, for awhile, as soon as she wants it back, give it to her, before she leans. She's supposed to learn that she can always have it back if she needs it. She should learn to hold it longer each time. Never hold a youngsters feet longer then they are willing to give it. After awhile, you should be able to work with them long enough to clean them out. Beware of who you have work on her. Make sure your farrier knows its a young horse that was abused.

But, pick up her feet alot, like everyday, all of them. Good luck! She's very nice, long slopeing shoulder, feet set under her, pretty long neck, she's a little light in the hind-end, but that's because she's young, walk her up and down hills to thicken her butt muscles. Do you have a pic from directly behind her?

You are an angel for saving this horse. There is a special place in Heaven for rescuers.

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
Dumb me, I didn't read page 2...Crissa please don't ride a 2 year old that's in that bad shape. I know it's hard, but you can injurer her back. Wait till she's 3. Keep the lessons with you on the ground. Get a really good trainer or a really good book. She needs all of her ground manners before you get up there. Teach her to lunge, but even that is advanced for a 2 year old.

Did you say she's a quarter-horse?

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Sorry, but I was thinking the same as Di. Get her in better condition and really bond with her before you attempt to ride. Ground manners are a major thing when owning a horse. She looks so sweet so she shouldn't be too much of a challenge to get to behave :thumb:

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I understand that, but I've been told by some breeders that it is safe to go ahead and sit on her for at the most 5 minutes at a time. Get's her used to weight on her back so she doesn't mind it so much in the future. I don't want to try and get on her when she's perfectly healthy and have her buck me off when I can get her used to it now without any problems. I only did it because I was told that it would be safe as long as it was for 5 minutes or less. It's supposed to strengthen her back. And since I only weigh at the most 105 lbs, it really shouldn't hurt her too much.

And yes she's a quarter horse. :wink:

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
Crissa, I was going to say the same a Di, but I did not want anyone to get mad a me. I raised horses for years and PLEASE stay off her for now. She is very young for one and two like she said the weight.
We never did anything but put a saddle on our horse until they were almost three. We raised champion reining horses and we found that is best for them for their backs. Yes you do see these race horse that are young on the track ,but look at the outcome of most of them.
She is a doll and it looks like she is very happy. We goat a rescue that was almost dead when we goat him and that was 4 years ago. They are a lot of fun but a lot of money also. If you want to take her a treat like you do your goats, take sugar cubes. Most horses love them and will come running for them. Or good old horse treats, that always works.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Well Crissa- you'll find lots of opinions amoung horse people- many 180 degrees opposite. Judgement comes into it a great deal. I don't know why horse people are that way but they are.
I just was at a clinic last month where the lecturer said that it was good to have a rocky hard place for horses to toughen up their feet. Around here it's wet wet wet and hard on horse's hooves. So I was dicussing with a friend if there was a place where I could have some rocks for this- I mentioned that I might have a paddock where I could do this when a woman, sitting three rows back, who is probably a quarter of my age, interrupted our conversation to tell me that I shouldn't have rocks anywhere where might horses would be eating. I looked back at her then went on with the conversation with my friend to be interrupted again by this woman, who had already lectured the expert giving the talk, to tell me that I would be hurting my horses. Heaven knows I have a temper and that was it for me- looked back at her and said that I would not expose my horses to sand colic by feeding them on gravel. I'm surprised she did not explode into flames because of the look I gave her. You'd think I'd have mellowed up by now.

You are right that her personality may change dramatically when she is recovered from her starvation. And I too would be trying to establish a routine with her to take advantage of her lack of energy to get her used to things.

I probably wouldn't have chosen to get on her yet even for a trial sit as her condition is weak and even a light weight could be uncomfortable for her and thereby make her a little resistant to having someone one her later- but I could be wrong and that would be the best thing for her - many of the best people who make wonderful horses do a little work with a 2 year old horse under saddle because they feel that the horse is more adaptable. They do maybe 30 days of 15-20 minutes of walking around then put them up again until they are 3 the next year.
This of course is very mild, uncomplicated, easy work in order not to hurt the youngster. And on a healthy sound animal whose mind is ready for this. I certainly do not think what you did was harmful to her physically- simply I would do something different.

I wouldn't count on not having an issue with her when she gets stronger though even if you do this. When she has the fitness to express herself- she will whether you've done this or not. I think backing a horse is a job for a person who is experienced in this- I won't do it at all at my age. I'm too chicken and have seen too many wrecks. Just so you're aware of the possiblity.

Everything is a matter of tact with the horse- knowing what the horse is feeling, recognizing that many difficulties just need to be figured out and approached again- but also making boundaries within which the horse will live her life and be more comfortable with that because that is also horse nature.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Thanks everyone! Trust me I won't get mad if you tell me what you honestly think. :) I promise. I actually appreciate the different views. But, I will have to say I disagree to a point. I think it's fine to sit on her for 5 minutes every couple days, it didn't seem to make her uncomfortable at all and if she EVER shows any sign of it bothering her because it hurts I will stay off of her. But I only do it maybe once a week. Right now I am mainly doing ground work and of course working on her head shyness (should probably call it "ear" shyness as that's the only part of her head she doesn't like touched) and picking up her hooves.

Thanks Hailee! :greengrin:

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
I really don't want to seem bossy, sorry if it came across that way. She really should fill out nicely. And she is your horse, your responsibility and it is your desicion wjether you want to get on her or not. And I am sure being just 105# helps, you are teeny :wink:

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
Crissa, I hope I didn't come across as bossy or opinionated? I certainly didn't mean it to sound that way. The advice I gave for picking up her feet came straight from an article I read in "Perfect Horse" Magazine (I'm a fan of John Lyons). If you can find it, it's got great advice for people working with young horses. I used the same technique on my Arab mare. That was a few years ago...maybe folks do things different nowdays. I lived in Utah and we competed in endurance riding...we did pretty well too. That horse was 4.5 years old before I put my foot in a sturrup. Now, Arabs mature slower then Quarter Horses, so I would expect you to use your horse before that. But, I competed with her till she was 12 years old. The only reason I quit was the rides got too crazy. I wasn't willing to ride through deep mud and take the chance of injuring my horse for their little prizes.

You know, once you create a bond with your horse, it's a beautiful thing. Most of the bonding will be through ground work. She will learn to trust you, and when you ride her for real, she will want to please you. It's really an incredible feeling. Try to get that magazine.

Good luck. :hug:

·
Registered
430 Posts
She's a cute little horse! I actually agree with not getting on her at this point, I also think that getting on her think it will keep her from being a bucker if that is she'll be probably won't even make to much of a difference.

What I would do now along with the ground work is get her a saddle and get her use to being saddled, I've also found finding somewhere high up to put you above her makes them more excepting of having someone on there back and the big thing I would do is take her for walks! The more she's exposed to now the better she will accept things!

Even when I have a healthy horse I don't put much real riding on them until they are 3, sometimes I will put a month or so of light riding on them around 2 1/2, just depends on the horse.

I'm excited to see how she fills out and developes, I hope you will keep us updated with lots of pics!

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Crissa I think you are sensative and will do well with your girl. It is hard not to make mistakes occasionally with horses- they are such individuals and things can suddenly take a left turn. But I don't think any mistakes you make will be from being a horse bully. Good luck with her- I will be interested in hearing of your progress. Horses are such an adventure.
But then so are goats.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Thanks, no one is seeming bossy. I think I'm going to go ahead and stay off of her for now and just put a saddle on her and lunge her with it. Although I don't think I'll wait until she's three to start breaking her, just until she gains plenty of weight and strength. And I could never harm a horse! :shocked: I would shoot myself before I'd ever hurt ANY animal! So if she shows any sign of it stressing or hurting her I WILL stop.

And yes I will keep you all updated on her progress! :greengrin:

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
I have to admit I didn't wait till 3 to ride my horse, although he was a big boy and I only rode without a saddle, and I was 12 then as well. I would say it is best to wait until she has weight on her, I know I wouldn't be patient enough to wait all the way until she was 3 :ROFL:

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Thanks Chelsey. I just got my saddle with the blanket and pad, yesterday! And I'm getting my bridle soon. (as soon as my friend can bring it up to me) Both were FREE! The person I got the saddle from just doesn't ride her horses anymore and doesn't need 3 saddles, and the person I got my bridle from has mules now and the bridle doesn't fit any of them.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts