The Goat Spot Forum banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Wow - are you lucky or what. When I bought my first horse I almost spent twice as much as I paid for the horse to get a saddle, briddle, brushes, etc.

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
Are you riding western or english? Not that you can get one free (lucky you)...but if you ever have a chance to try an Australian(sp) Stock Saddle, do. I used a regular "barrel" type saddle for years, then someone at a competition showed me hers and I was hooked. They are light like an english saddle, but they give you more "purchase" like a western saddle. The perfect compromise.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Yeah I know. :oops: I did insist on at least helping with their horses though. :wink: I've heard the the Australian saddle is a good saddle but I've only ridden western. :(

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I think helping with many horses is the best way to learn. Every horse I've had has taught me something different from riding big gaits to stopping a horse that didn't to stop (fun story that.) Listening to each horse will be an education that you can't get any other wsy.

By the way, if your new saddle doesn't fit your girl well now, wait and when she grows and gets some weight on, it might very well fit then. I bet in a year, she will be a transformed horse.

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
Crissa said:
Thanks, no one is seeming bossy. I think I'm going to go ahead and stay off of her for now and just put a saddle on her and lunge her with it. Although I don't think I'll wait until she's three to start breaking her, just until she gains plenty of weight and strength. And I could never harm a horse! :shocked: I would shoot myself before I'd ever hurt ANY animal! So if she shows any sign of it stressing or hurting her I WILL stop.

And yes I will keep you all updated on her progress! :greengrin:
That is the best thing I believe you can do for her. That is great. Please take pictures of her often, you will never believe the progress you have made with her. You will be so surprised how far she has come long, and it is so rewarding. Believe me we did that and it is hard to believe he really is the same horse. She sure is a beautiful girl.
Go to my web site if you would like to see the horse that we rescued and what he looks like now. It is Kahlua's.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts