The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got myself a buckling to eventually sire my herd, and he’s the cutest thing. Unfortunately I am clueless when it comes to what my herd needs to improve on since I’m only just starting out, but he comes from a good herd, good lines and his dam has a decent udder for a FF. My question is, is it too early to know what to look for in his conformation? He’s only a month old so I’m not sure if I’d be able to see what I’m looking for. I’ll add some pics the breeder gave me. He’s not set up so not sure if you’ll even be able to see. I can always ask to get some better ones!

I’m seeing a bit of a high back end, but otherwise I can’t distinguish too much.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I’m even newer at this than you are, so all I can tell you is he is adorable.

I’m getting three doelings in less than a week. When it comes breeding time (likely a year or more out for me), I’m not brave enough to take a buck from a FF. So you likely know more than I do. I’ll probably need to start with a proven buck because I just have no clue what I’m doing and I also won’t yet know what needs to be improved.

Congrats on your buck. Hopefully others who know more will comment. But I just had to pop in and say he sure is a cutie-pie.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’m even newer at this than you are, so all I can tell you is he is adorable.

I’m getting three doelings in less than a week. When it comes breeding time (likely a year or more out for me), I’m not brave enough to take a buck from a FF. So you likely know more than I do. I’ll probably need to start with a proven buck because I just have no clue what I’m doing and I also won’t yet know what needs to be improved.

Congrats on your buck. Hopefully others who know more will comment. But I just had to pop in and say he sure is a cutie-pie.
Thanks so much for the reply! I wish you the best of luck with your doelings, goats sure are a joy to have and I’m sure you’ll have a blast with them!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He sure is cute!
To get pointers from others about conformation you may want to post in the “Goat conformation” forum.
Maybe @MellonFriend or @Morning Star Farm have some advice on this boy.
I totally didn’t realize there was a forum for that! Haha, I’ll have to change that.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Hes very young to really tell what he will be. Usually 3 to 6 months gives you a much better conformation idea.
I learned to look at the buck as what you want all your goats to look like. Then look at your does. Can the way he is built improve on your does? Its a 60% buck look to a 40% doe look plus their past generations. By look I mean confirmation... Just gave you a crash course on guessing genetics..lol It takes time to build up to. Good luck in your adventure!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hes very young to really tell what he will be. Usually 3 to 6 months gives you a much better conformation idea.
I learned to look at the buck as what you want all your goats to look like. Then look at your does. Can the way he is built improve on your does? Its a 60% buck look to a 40% doe look plus their past generations. By look I mean confirmation... Just gave you a crash course on guessing genetics..lol It takes time to build up to. Good luck in your adventure!
Thanks so much!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts