Meeting the big, bad world

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by dvfreelancer, Jan 5, 2010.

1. dvfreelancer

dvfreelancer New Member

Aug 15, 2009
    It's time to start introducing the bottle babies to the brave new world of living with other goats. I was mistaken about them being bigger than their pasture raised siblings, they're a good 1/3 smaller than the others. The runts of the litter. But it's not fair to compare because both the bottle babies were pre-mature from first time mommies.

The introduction did not go particularly well. Dropped them in the pasture and they had the same look a couple gets when the hostess tells someone she can't find their reservation. They looked around like, "There must be some mistake, we don't belong here. These are...are...animals!" After hollering about the unfairness of it for a while, they finally found a sheltered spot under the hay rack to catch some Z's, confident the embassy would send someone to rescue them shortly. Not knowing that if you're counting on the embassy to save you, you're already screwed.

They definitely don't see the other goats as kin and the rest of the herd pretty much ignores them. They just lay in their little warm spot, alone in the middle of a crowd. They are nibbling on some hay, so instinct is starting to kick in. Their outdoor step-brothers and sisters are already fighting for grain and out wandering with the herd.

It's kind of sad, but at least they have each other.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    it is good they have eachother :) but they will figure it out soon and thought they may never fully accept the herd as their own they will assimulate into it :wink:

3. dvfreelancer

dvfreelancer New Member

Aug 15, 2009
    Yeah, they'll be alright. Sweet Pea is smart and Short Round has the muscle mass and attitude. I expect her to catch on first, Short Round eventually.

The first they have to figure out is escaping from the hay rack. The fence panels holes are big enough for them to walk through, but they don't know that.

It's all so different than the laundry room.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree... they will eventually blend in ... they are a herding animal... so the instincts will eventually kick in.... :wink:

5. dvfreelancer

dvfreelancer New Member

Aug 15, 2009
    They're not quite blending yet, but they are adapting. They found themselves a pretty sweet hookup in the hay rack. Buried in the loose hay under the tarp, they're definitely comfortable. Isolated, but sheltered. They braved the electric web fence to get back under the covered trailer with the quail. Lot of voltage in that fence and both of them lumped it. That's commitment.

We're expecting single digit lows Friday and Saturday, so they can sleep in the laundry room or garage until the nighttime temps are up above freezing. As much work as we put into them, it's worth that. Another week tops.

We can't take much more of these temperatures. Every morning I have to thaw out the chicken watering cans and punch holes in the pond ice so the goats can drink. Can't do that indefinitely. It's the coldest I ever remember here. Hard on all of us.