The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Meko the pony has a broken jaw Update Shes gone :(

The night of the 3rd, my very old pony Meko came in with her tongue hanging out, and wouldnt eat. Next morning vet confirmed a broken jaw caused by a kick, with X-rays. It had to have been the newest mare I rescued, Beauty, a 32 yo mare. She spent the first 3 days in a ton of pain, with her tongue hanging out, eating only a few bites of mush every few hours. On the 5th, after bloodwork, my vet said to switch her to bute, and after a day and a half of bute, she became very bellyachey, and quite eating, and was mostly laying down (what she does when shes got a belly ache). I put her back on banamine last night, and she started eating quite well.

We are 4 days out now, and the swelling is down a lot, her tongue is back in her mouth, and today she has been eating her mush well today. Unfortunately we are in the worst cold snap in many years, its 9* out right now, and the high today was 27. Shes lost a lot of weight already, went from nice and chubby pony, to spine and ribs. Luckily shes a pony and grows a huge winter coat anyway. I am hoping that with her new vigor for eating she will stop losing weight so quickly.

Prognosis is 50/50, because she is so old (exact age unknown, but judging by her teeth my vet thinks mid 30s, or older), my vet is worried that she might not have the bone density be able to heal anymore. I am hoping that we will be able to tell by X-ray in a couple weeks if the bone is knitting, or not. Right now I am caring for her every couple hours. She can only eat mush, and she is getting a senior feed mush, and alfalfa pellet mush around the clock, and antibiotics and banamine 2x a day.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
We had a pony that broke its jaw at 22, lived with us until it was 31 then one of its old owners called *they had owned her for 15 years when she was young* and really wanted to retire her. She needed routine dental floats but was completely happy!

Best of luck!

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, my vet says if she were younger, it wouldnt be a concern, but she is so old, and has such poor integrity to her teeth, that my vet thinks she probably doesnt have the bone density to heal a bone anymore. We will find out in about 3 weeks though. Her spirits are still good, so that is good.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We xrayed Meko again on Monday, they showed a lot more damage than the first ones showed. She had multiple fractures on both sides of her jaws. I had her put down this morning. Its been a sad day. RIP sweet Meko pony.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I'm so sorry. We came close to putting my Arab down...She busted a blood vessel in her sinus cavity from fighting the vet as we tubed her for choke...bled like a stuck pig and couldn't eat or drink for almost a week. Had to tube her three times to get water in her. She's lost a ton of weight. You took good care of her when she was in need. I bet you couldn't see all the damage bc of the inflammation around the injury. =( I'm very sorry for your loss. And a for your sibling goats breeding...don't sweat it bc you did have a rather large more expensive problem on your hand. Is there any idea you could seperate that new rescue to keep her from severely crippling another horse?

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you guys for your condolences. The other mare the new mare is out with is bossy over her, so its ok. The dymanics used to be that bossy mare would treat Meko like her baby, but bossy mare and new mare had lived together for at least a decade, suffering together, but I rescued them 3 years apart (it was a long, drawn out process), and then bossy mare just totally abandon Meko it seemed. I didnt know the new mare was so mean, but meko was small, and going blind, and likely never even saw it coming. I made a fatal error in her new herd mate, and have been beating myself up for it, but am trying to get over it because something is always a risk. Dang critters, owning them is just signing up for future heartache.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts