The Goat Spot Forum banner

MellonFriend's 2022 Kidding Thread

27K views 595 replies 30 participants last post by  toth boer goats 
#1 ·
I can't believe it's already time to start my kidding thread. Time has flown! 😄

This will be my second kidding season as well as both of my does' second freshening. First up is Bella, she's all dried up now and her due date is January 18th. Only two months to go! 😲😁
Working animal Terrestrial animal Snout Landscape Livestock
Plant Dog breed Tree Wood Fawn
Plant Working animal Ratite Fawn Grass
Carnivore Mammal Dog breed Tasmanian devil Beak

I feel like she is bigger this year than she was last year. I'm betting three for her this time instead of two.

Here's Prim. Here due date is February 4th. She'll be dried up next week.
Wood Goat Fawn Grass Working animal
Bird Beak Wood Twig Fawn
Plant Dog Tree Dog breed Carnivore
Bat Wood Fawn Terrestrial animal Fungus

I'm waiting until she is also three months to go to give my guess for her, but so far I'm thinking only two. Same as last year.

And here is Cullen. He is the buck they are both bred to. These will be his first offspring.
Plant Bull Tree Working animal Fawn

See less See more
#216 ·
Nothing. 😕 No changes. Ligs still there, udder looking fuller.

The "snowstorm" isn't turning out to be anywhere near as bad as it was supposed to be. We got about four inches of snow overnight and right now the temperatures have risen enough that it's raining now. I wish it was still snowing. This snow/rain combo is making it super gross outside. 😖 Wet snowballs are raining from the trees with no regard for if they land on you or not and the ground is a yucky gushy mess. The temps are supposed to go down again throughout the day so it should be snow again sometime.

Here's a picture from earlier this morning before it started melting.
Sky Snow Plant Natural landscape Fog

#228 ·
I think we might have some progress. 🤞😬 Her left ligament is getting harder to find and more malleable. And boy her udder is looking full now to me. I touched it and it seems pretty tight. I don't know if this is my imagination, but I think she might be starting to act different. She's still pushing for attention and yelling at me when I leave, but I don't think she's as interested in hay as she normally is, and she was doing some pawing at the ground. She's also on a very short fuse with Prim. Unfortunately, I can't get any pictures right now because it's 25* out and my camera is only useable at 35*. Maybe it will warm up enough later.

I figured out a system to let my family know how soon I think she is, since saying she's "close" is sort of variable. So I came up with using the DEFCON system like the military uses to say how close to nuclear war we are. 😄

Defcon 5: The doe is pregnant
Defcon 4: We are withing a month of the due date
Defcon 3: Within a week of the due date and starting to look suspicious
Defcon 2: You're pretty sure she's going to kid in the next 24-48 hours
Defcon 1: Active labor

So today I have officially raised Bella's situation to Defcon 2. 😁

#231 ·
Yay! So exciting!

Me and my sister did “codes” when Buttercup had her first kids. [emoji23] We used Walky-talkys. Code blue was she was fine,code green was getting close, and code red is GET OVER HERE NOOOOOOWWWW!! 🤣 I think we ended up just saying what was happening instead of the codes, because we were so excited we forgot what they meant [emoji38]

#239 ·
DEFCON 1 has come and gone! We have babies!!!!!! 😆😍🥳 FOUR to be exact! It's a crazy story. I went out at 5:00pm to give the does their grain and Bella didn't come out of the barn like she usually does, she was just standing in the middle of the stall. So I go, okay, well this must be the start of prelabor. I look at her rear end and I see what I thought was the mucus plug. Just a tiny little bit of white discharge on her vulva. So I put her in the kidding stall, give her her grain and leave to go get some snow pants on because it was 26* and windy. I go in the house for all of two minutes, come back out, get close to the barn and I hear this weird squeaking noise. For a minute I think it's my snow pants swishing together, but then I look on Bella and there are TWO kids out on the floor! She hadn't even finished her grain! I dash back in the house, alert my family, and get my kidding kit.

The first two out are boys. One looks like his daddy, except with tan legs instead of white, and the second is completely black with a white star on his poll. We had about twenty minutes before Bella went down and started pushing again. Good thing I was here for this one because I first saw a back leg coming out. Only one. I went searching just inside and found another hoof, but it was a front hoof. Oh boy. Two kids trying to come out at once. I gloved up, lubed up and push the one kid back in. It took no effort and the kid who was presenting correctly came flying out. It was a girl! I thought man! I accurately predicted that Bella would have two boys first and then a girl! Last kid I knew I had to get out of there since it was backwards so I went in, found the other leg and pulled. He was out within second.

I lament the fact that I can't get you all pictures until tomorrow! It's 26* and I can't take my camera out until it is 32*. I apologize incredibly! If it doesn't get warm fast enough tomorrow, I'll smuggle them in to take the pictures. The last two kids look exactly like their daddy, but the boy has a white spot on the center of his tail.

Bella is doing amazing. She passed the placenta and is nursing all of them. She is very attentive and being a perfect mother.

The only question I have is the black boy is knuckling over on his back feet. So he's trying to walk on his ankles instead of his hooves. I gave him a dab of selenium paste and a vitamin e capsule in case it is that, but if anyone has any other experience let me know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.