The Goat Spot Forum banner

201 - 220 of 377 Posts

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #209
Okay everyone, here is your reward! The girl is the one with the light facial markings and the boy is the mostly black one. Can you believe it, they both have moon spots?! I've got a tale to tell about the birth, but I don't want to leave them alone yet, so I'll get back to you all as soon as I'm done staring at them.:inlove:
IMG_6972.JPG
IMG_6985.JPG
IMG_6987.JPG
IMG_6983.JPG

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #214
I will take tons of pictures for you. It's so hard because they are constantly moving! After I finish writing this book I will go and try to get some better pictures:

So the story starts at 9:07 pm when Bella started having real contractions. What was strange is the whole time she had like no discharge. Just a little whitish stuff.

11:00pm she started really pushing. Full body involved and everything. The first thing that came out was a gigantic amount of fluid. I mean like a gallon. Then for the next 50 minutes she was only pushing out reddish bubbles. I thought that those bubbles were supposed to be immediately followed by kids, but there wasn't any. She'd push real hard and I'd think "okay here we go", but it was always another bubble or a tremendous amount of fluid.

At 11:56pm I decided to go in and see what was going on because at this point the amount of liquid that was coming out was making me worried that maybe she was having a cloudburst pregnancy or maybe the kids were tangled which is why nothing was happening. I went in with just a couple fingers and felt a kid. The first thing I felt was his teeth and I was also shocked at how extraordinarily warm it is inside the birth canal. Seems obvious, but it just wasn't something I had thought about. I then also felt two feet so I was like, yay, it's all going to be okay... but then only his head started coming out. I couldn't understand it. She started to seem pretty distressed and nothing was really happening so I felt around at what was going on and I felt two baby hooves up near the side of the babies head and at that moment I thought that I was actually feeling two different kids. Now this really scared me, I didn't feel confident in being able rearrange the situation if it was indeed what was going on so at this point I had my mom call our vet.

While she was on the phone I kept working with Bella to see if I could get anything to happen. I tried pushing the baby back in a little to see if it was in fact two kids trying to get out. At this point I don't exactly remember what happened. I think I pulled on one of the legs and it just popped out. Then the other leg came and his head too and he was out! By the time Mom got off the phone he was out! It was amazing. There was a baby goat, right in front of me! I didn't look at the clock right when he was out, but we are pretty sure based on the time of the vet phone call that he was born around midnight exactly. Mom called the vet back and did not have her come out, but it was great at that point to be able to ask some questions about how normal all this is and it was very reassuring.

Bella was very good at licking the baby, but when he started to move and cry Bella suddenly acted like she had no idea what he was. She stood up and her ridge raised and she started snorting, and trying to paw at him. When he stood up I thought she was going to try to butt him. At this point I was really worried she was rejecting him.

12:23 a.m. Bella started pushing again and with a little encouragement by my fingers around her vulva, baby goat number two popped right out. I was very excited to see when she was coming out that her nose was a different color than the first one.

This time it seemed like Bella loved this baby. And so I did a little switcharoo. I snuck in baby boy while she was busy licking baby girl. Once I eventually I helped babies get their colostrum I think this really helped getting her bonded. She really took to licking their butts. For the next couple hours though, it was like every once and a while she would suddenly have no clue where the little boy came from or why he was here. She would raise her hackles and snort and try to paw at him. This is why I was up until 5:30 because I was worried she was going to hurt one of them.

Eventually she came around and started standing well for them to drink, nickering back to them when they made noise, and being careful where she steps. She is now doing wonderfully. She's really being a good mom now, but phew! it was touch and go there for a while.

Thanks for making it to the end of the whole story of Bella's labor I will now reward you with another somewhat blurry baby photo. :bookgoat:
IMG_6967.JPG

·
Registered
781 Posts
Oh wow they are stunning! Absolutely gorgeous. My first kidding was a FF that had a HUGE single doeling. It was crazy. She had no problems kidding (it was around noon and I watched her all day) but she was having major trouble being a mama. After baby was born she licked its nose and payed close attention to it, but would NOT let it nurse! I had to tie her up and work for 3 hours and finally got her to understand what to do.
You did awesome! I would have totally freaked out in that situation!!!

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #218
Thank you everyone for all the help you've given me throughout this process. I am so grateful that you all are here to support me. I could not have done this without you. Here are some better pictures.
IMG_7012.JPG

Here you can see the beautiful gray on his ear. That's not a highlight, that's just his color.
IMG_7007.JPG
IMG_7014.JPG

·
Registered
29,926 Posts
Awe beautiful babies and good job getting little brother into the world!!

201 - 220 of 377 Posts