Mellowing a Sassy Buck

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by bbredmom, Jan 15, 2011.

1. bbredmom

bbredmom New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    King Zeus is spoiled. I know this, admit this, and take full responsiblilty for it. He is a pocket buck to the extreme, and has learned the bad habit that if he doesn't get his way, to headbutt us.

Well, I have a local goat "wise woman" who I sometimes turn to for goatie questions. I told her about Zeus, and she laughed and said she had the perfect thing, that it works everytime.

Take a small piece of PVC pipe, and tape it horixontally across his horns. He will immediately be calmer, sweeter, and easier to handle. After a few weeks, take it off, and it should stick for a while. Lather, rinse repeat.

Sounds nuts, right? Hand to God, it works. We did it to Zeus today, and it was amazing. He's calmer, gentler, and doesn't seem to mind the pipe. In fact, he uses it to scratch his belly.

How does this work? Is it "dominating" him, by putting weight on his horns? I'm not hurting him am I? It is nice to be able to feed him and metis and not be worried about him getting his horns out of joint.

Pictures!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    If it's worked to keep him in his place, then it has to be something about the "control" thing. Or it acts pschologically on him and herts his pride, IDK.

Right now I have an EXTREMELY PO'd doe, Angel is my herd queen and has become pretty agressive towards the others so I put foam pipe insulation over her horns and used a whole roll of duct tape and made a very well padded bumper on her head, she still beats the barn wall trying to get it off but she has definately been sweeter to the others!

3. bbredmom

bbredmom New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Well, if its just hurting his pride, I'm not worrying about it. He needs to be knocked down a peg or ten!

I couldn't do the fbumper thing because our newfoundland would chew it off. He's a year old and still teething I think....

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Wow....that is a new one.... glad it is working.... :thumb:

5. Hush Hills Fainters

Hush Hills Fainters New Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Well I just put green tennis balls on my girl....looks a little funny but no pointy horns