The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

It's been a rough few week I have been having on the farm. I never knew meningeal would be a problem on my property, but a few weeks ago I noticed one of my 6 month olds, Dotty, couldn't put any weight on her hind legs, and when she tried to stand on her 2 hind, she couldn't. I thought she had a broken bone, so I called the vet and we treated for meningeal. She hasn't gotten worse, but her hind legs haven't gotten any better, and I have heard it could take months for her to make a full recovery.

She is not in any pain today, and does not have a fever, but I went out to check on her 30 minutes ago and noticed an infection on the end of her ear. It smells awful, and has pus. I think one of the new goats bit her ear since I have been noticing her doing it to others.

I am cleaned it out as best as I could, and sprayed with BluKote. I am going to give her some B complex... Should I start Penicillin, or wait? I don't want to ruin her immune system with the whole meningeal recovery and all.

Anything else I can do for her?

·
Amber
1,339 Posts
Poor Dotty....Hope she recovers quickly!

A friend of mine dealt with Meningeal worms last year. Hit one of her does really hard. She has never been the same since. she walks funny now and can never be bred again per vet's orders. But she also did not catch it right away and it actually paralyzed the doe before they started treating her.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is so sad! I am sorry for your friend.

I notices Dotty was walking funny on a Saturday night, and the vet didn't come until Monday morning. She said that only time will tell if the paralysis will be permanent. I feel so bad for her!

I really wish that there was something I could to do treat them all for it, monthly. I use cydectin as a general wormer, but of course it doesn't work for meningeal. :(

·
1,524 Posts
Is the vet treating her with a steroid? Like dexamethasone? That helps with the inflammation in the spine, which will help with the paralysis.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Did you use safeguard at all for the worms? You are supposed to use Ivermectin Plus and Safeguard for M worm. Not sure about the ears, though. Sorry.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I believe I would wash her ear with a 50% peroxide and 50% distilled water solution (got that recipe from my vet) prior to putting antibiotic cream on it. The peroxide solution will kill the bacteria, the dilution will keep it from stinging so bad and damaging healthy tissue, and the distilled water will help to keep from introducing any new stuff from your water. I sure hope she makes a full recovery, she looks like a sweetie!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We did give her dexamethasone for several days, but she has been off it for some time now. The vet said she wouldn't need it unless her symptoms got worse.

As for which dewormer we used to treat the worm, we used Panacur oral drench, 5x dosage for 5 days. Vet said it's the only way to breach the brain/blood barrier. She also said that Panacur is the only thing they recommend for meningeal. Not sure how everyone else feels about that?

I would really love it if there were a shot I could give them every 2 months to prevent it.. Such as Dectomax which I give my llama monthly. Why can't this work in goats?

I will absolutely go to the dollar store this morning and get some peroxide and try washing it in that mixed with water. She seems to be acting a little bit happier this morning!

·
Super Moderator
58,834 Posts
Ivomec/dectomax will work as a preventative for goats. People don't do it because of the resistance it will create and has created in llamas/alpacas.

Panacur and Safeguard both are a Fenbendazole product so either is fine to use.

·
Super Moderator
58,834 Posts
Dectomax is every 6 weeks for llamas and alpacas. I'm really not sure on goats. I quit using Dectomax when I found out it didn't help with mites on alpacas.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts