The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are new to raising goats (less than year) and live in western MO, and have lots (LOTS!) of deer that roam through our property. We have two Spanish/Boer crosses - Luna and Sol (sisters about 18 months old) - who have both come down with MW.

About a month ago they were both dragging their hind legs and looking weak in the hindquarters so the vet put them on a full 5 day treatment of mega doses of Panacur. They kinda started to look like they might be responding - Luna was taking steps once in a while with her bad leg and not dragging it all the time, she had also started ranging out in the pasture again. Sol was even running normally and other than mild weakness looked fine.

But then a few days ago we found Sol standing around looking kinda sorry for herself and as we watched her during the course of the day we saw her stumbling around like a drunken sailor and then saw her hindquarters collapse and her struggling to get back up again and giving up and just sitting down. We rushed her to the vet (emergency vet because of course these things have to happen on a weekend!!) and they gave her some Banamine and a Vit B complex shot and put her on another 5 day course of Panacur same as before (23 ml/100 lbs for 5 days).

The next day we found her completely unable to stand on her own and it's now been 2 days of her just sitting around in the barn.

I'm wanting to know whether anyone here has had experience with goats going down with meningeal worm but then becoming able to walk again, or do we have no option but to put her down? I'd hate to lose an animal that up till now was perfectly healthy, and in fact is still eating normally and otherwise perky except for not being able to stand up or walk.

I have ordered a sling that we can use to hold up her hind quarters and try to encourage her to walk and in the meantime we've been taking turns (in between our day jobs... thankfully we work from home) picking up her manually and trying to hold her up so she can stand. Is there any point in doing this kind of physical therapy? Is there any other kind of physical therapy that might help?

Any and all help would be much appreciated, as well as positive stories of goats that recovered after going down like this.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
32,237 Posts
I have not personally dealt with MW but can say I would try Dexamethsone. 1 cc per 20 pounds IM once a day for 5 days. After 5 days begin weening her off the dex by reducing her dose a little each day..so if she gets 5 cc...day six give her 4 cc..day 7 give 3 cc and so forth so not to stop abruptly. Give her B complex as a support.
the Panacure young gave should have killed the worm but the swelling it caused needs to be reduced. You should also put her on Penicillin as Dex lowers immunity and she's already compromised. 1 cc per 20 pounds once a day until off Dex. Give Sub Q and be sure to pull plunger back to check for blood.
A sling along with some physical therapy is a great idea. If after treatment and there is no change, there is likely no change of improvement after that but at least you know you did all you could. There are also herbal snd ess. Oil treatments you can use in combination to the Dexamethsone. It can be alot of effort and time but we'll worrh it when they rally. There is a blog story about a full recovery..ill try to find it for you.

Best wishes
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
32,237 Posts
Use a large towel as a sling to support her while she walks. Stretch from front legs to back for good support..hold all 4 corners.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
32,237 Posts
Sorry the blog is no longer popping up.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Debra P

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Use a large towel as a sling to support her while she walks. Stretch from front legs to back for good support..hold all 4 corners.
That's exactly what we did today because we didn't want to wait for the sling :)

We can't give her Dex because she might be bred. The buck's been in with them for about a month now. Elsewhere I was told Meloxicam might be a good alternative. What do you think?

I also gave her some B complex today and was going to do that daily for a couple of weeks. Will try to get hold of some penicillin too.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
32,237 Posts
Awe..bummer..Dex is the best..Banamine is next best and safe for pregnant goats. I'm not sure about meloxicam as it's oral and works through the body fast as well as having a large dose. I would go with banamine. 3 days then assess if 2 more days are warranted. No penicillin is needed unless using Dex. Definitely do daily goat specific probiotics.
 

·
I'm watching you
Joined
·
22,549 Posts
Meloxicam is a good idea, the dose isn't that large and goats eat them right up in a bit of sweet feed or syringe of honey.
The vit B needs to be fortified or plus. It must have at least 100 mgs/ml of thiamine (b1). Make sure that you are giving enough at least 3 times a day. Treat as for polio at this point.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
32,237 Posts
Meloxicam is a pretty large dose at 1 mg per 2.2 pounds. And only stays in the system just under 7 hours. I still feel bananine would be better choice, at least for 3 to 5 days, then after if more support is needed switch to meloxicam. Be sure to do probiotics to help the rumes flora.
Edit to add: thiamine should be dosed at 500mg to address polio. So if your b complex has 100 mg thiamine, dose should be 5 cc.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
85,665 Posts
If treatment is caught too late, damage may be to severe for a comeback.
It takes time to know for sure.

The dex or banamine takes down swelling, which may be in the spinal cord area causing some of the paralyses.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for your input. I'm learning so much! We've talked more with the vet and she decided to put her on Dex for 3 days. She thinks it's worth the potential risk in the event of Sol being pregnant. And for a 3 day course she doesn't think any antibiotics will be needed. But I've got Sol on some B complex (the Durvet brand) and JumpStart (which I had on hand) while I go get some ProBios. I've also been giving her 400 IU of Vitamin E for a couple of weeks now because her hair had been patchy and looking rough and she had been diagnosed with a fungus that we'd treated with Tinactin for a while but wasn't looking like it was improving fast enough. I don't know that the Vitamin E has made a difference to that but I figured it wouldn't hurt to keep going.

Still waiting on the sling to be delivered but in the meantime we're picking her up by hand and getting her to take a few steps or at least stay standing for a few minutes at a time any time we go out in the barn. So far she's still perky and has an appetite and seems otherwise content. Onwards and upwards! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Don't have anything further to offer. Just wanted to pop in and say hello to a fellow Missourian. :) I sure hope your girl starts improving soon! I've been amazed at how tough and resilient goats can be.
Hello there fellow Missourian 👋 :) I've got so many questions but I'll see about PMing you. I'm still getting familiar with this site so I'm hoping there's a way to do that...
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
32,237 Posts
Rough coat and patchy spots can be the need for zinc and or copper. I agree the risk for loosing the baby is worth her health as at this point she may not make it to full term and deliver any way. Sorry she and you are going through this. If the Dex seems to help and she makes progress, try to do a full 5 days then decrease the dosage as I suggested before over 4 or 5 days.

Best wishes
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Rough coat and patchy spots can be the need for zinc and or copper. I agree the risk for loosing the baby is worth her health as at this point she may not make it to full term and deliver any way. Sorry she and you are going through this. If the Dex seems to help and she makes progress, try to do a full 5 days then decrease the dosage as I suggested before over 4 or 5 days.

Best wishes
I had wondered about mineral imbalances too so when she had her emergency appt with the vet I also had them draw blood to do a full panel. Waiting on those results before I do any supplementing. Given we're so new to this we don't have any idea what might be in our soil/water to know yet what we need to tweak in our feeding habits. Hopefully those results will help us figure that out.

In the meantime there's been no change in Sol. Sling arrived yesterday so my husband used it to carry her around like a bag of groceries LOL so we were able to keep her upright for a good ten minutes or so. I'm sure that did her some good, to be upright like that even if only for a short time. For anyone who's interested, this is what we got in the large size (not a product endorsement or anything, just for information only):

I'm working on the premise that no decline is a good sign. Hoping to see some positive change as she gets more Dex into her system...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm happy to report that the Dex seems to be having some effect. Today I saw Sol stand up on her own a couple of times even though she immediately sat back down again any time she tried to take a step. When we get her up with the sling she immediately takes off around the pen almost like she's happy to just be upright again even though her back legs aren't strong enough for her to put any weight on them. She's happy to let us do the lifting ☺

Here she is being held up while we give her dinner. Thankfully her appetite is still normal and she's still looking pretty perky. So feeling slightly more optimistic about continued improvement.

Working animal Dog breed Liver Carnivore Collar
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
32,237 Posts
Good news...🤞🤞🤞
 
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Top