Meningeal Worm - meds and itching questions

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by valsey, Jan 30, 2011.

1. valsey

valsey New Member

May 6, 2008
    I think I have another case of Meningeal Worm. Had a case exactly one year ago - at least I'm pretty sure that's what it was... With that doe I treated the scratching and sores she caused by scratching as a lice or mite problem. But I knew something else was wrong when I went out one morning and her spine was crooked. So I guess the larvae made it to the spine at that point.

So with this wether, I want to act fast and I have a few questions.

1) Anyone and everyone - please tell me your meds and dosages for treating Meningeal Worm

2) If the larvae doesn't appear to have made it to the spine yet - ie: no signs of dragging feet, lameness, or neurological issues - is an anti-inflammatory and/or steroid necessary?

3) Is there something else I can give to make this boy stop chewing holes into his sides - Benedryl - Topical or Liquid? Hydrocortisone?

Thank you!

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    When it was suspected at one point with my doeling a year ago, high doses of Ivermectin was one that I do recall.
    The need to kill the parasite is the most important.

3. valsey

valsey New Member

May 6, 2008
    Thanks - any idea of the dosage?

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
  5. valsey

valsey New Member

May 6, 2008
    Man - that's a lot of Ivermectin. I know this page was revised. Same time last year the dosage here was for double the weight and half the dosage days ...Arghhhhhh

Anybody else have success with other methods?

Thanks, Liz