The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 4-month old wether has symptoms of meningeal worm. I don't want to mess with this, so I got some Safeguard for Goats. Now, the dosage I see on the bottle for a 75 lb goat is 1.7 ml (cc), and that's aso what my vet recommended, but I've seen instructions on this and other forums for 1 cc per 7 lbs, which is 10 times as much. Please reply as quicky as possible, because he's already staggering and falling.

And no, it's most likely not polio or listeriosis.

·
I'm watching you
22,349 Posts
Yes the dosage is 1cc per 7lbs for this and don't worry Safeguard must be doses at 50 times normal dose to begin causing problems...He also needs a shot of Ivermectin to kill the migrating larvae. 1cc per 50lbs.
This and the Safeguard can be done at once without harm.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I've already given him ivermectin, and got some Banamine as well, which I haven't yet given him. I was concerned about the safety margin for Safeguard, and I appreciate your quick response.

·
Registered
31,010 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Will do.

What's the margin of safety for Banamine? What I have is horse paste, and trying to get a dose for 100 lbs is going to be difficult.

·
Registered
31,010 Posts
The recommended dose of flunixin is 0.5 mg per lb of body weight once daily. The BANAMINE Paste syringe, calibrated in twelve 250-lb weight increments, delivers 125 mg of flunixin for each 250 lbs (see dosage table). One syringe will treat a 1000-lb horse once daily for 3 days, or three 1000-lb horses one time.
No toxic effects were observed in rats given oral flunixin 2 mg/kg per day for 42 days. Higher doses produced ulceration of the gastrointestinal tract. The emetic dose in dogs is between 150 and 250 mg/kg. Flunixin was well tolerated in monkeys dosed daily with 4 mg/kg for 56 days. No adverse effects occurred in horses dosed orally with 1.0 or 1.5 mg/lb for 5 consecutive days.
here is the link to read more..
http://www.drugs.com/vet/banamine-paste.html

I would give 1/2 a click which would be for 125#'s if your tube is calibrated at 250# a click

1 - 7 of 7 Posts