Met my goat mama today (with pics!)

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Sundari, Jan 25, 2009.

1. Sundari

Sundari New Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Denver, CO
    I've been visiting different goat breeders, and I think I found the one I want to use. She lives in Conifer, just 40 minutes from Denver. She's currently got 3 pregnant mamas. The one I like is due on March 9th (!!!) I still need to go through the livestock permitting process, but I'm optimistic.

[​IMG]

This is me with Sundance (Sunny), the dam. She's a little shy, but the breeder assures me she's a sweetheart.

[​IMG]

And Tsunami Joe, the sire.

We have a bunch of pictures from our adventure today, including some of the setup she uses for her goats (I have a lot to learn, so I photograph everything). Here's the slideshow: http://www.eatwhereulive.com/Goats/Phot ... 25-09.html

Yay!

-Sundari

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    what type of permits do you have to get and why???

by the way - those two are just gorgeous - they should throw some nice kids for you!

3. Sundari

Sundari New Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Denver, CO
    The city of Denver has a pretty extensive livestock permitting process (I think they've made it so hard to try and discourage people, but that's just my opinion). You have to get a permit in order to have even one chicken, goat, duck, etc.

First you have to send a letter to Animal Control detailing all sorts of things about the animals, your vet, your setup, etc. Then Animal Control sends an officer out to inspect your property. Then Animal Control issues a pre-approval letter, which you have to take to Zoning. Zoning then (apparently) takes a while to approve you. If you're approved then Zoning send you a letter, which you have to take back to Animal Control to get a $50 permit. You have to renew your permit yearly.

(whew!)

-Sundari

4. Sundari

Sundari New Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Denver, CO
    And thanks for the nice words about the pretty goats. :) I told the breeder that I wasn't at all interested in showing them, I just wanted healthy goats for milking. But I agree - I think I'll have gorgeous babies!!

The breeder even said she'd call me when Sunny is about to go into labor. I might be able to get there in time to help with the births!

-Sundari

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    is that to have livestock in the city or anywhere in the county? That is just weird if it is anywhere. The city that I am closest to, allow livestock in the backyards as long as neighbors do not complain!!

6. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Montana
    Most cities the size of Denver and many smaller towns do not allow livestock at all. It sounds like Denver residents are really lucky to be able to buy permits to keep goats. A few residents in the town closest to me have been known to have goats, but it's a town of only about 1,400 people. Even in rural areas of Montana, you have to check covenenants before you buy. There's something called a "standard covenant" on some smaller acreages which do not allow pigs or goats. Cows are allowed, so go figure. In those places, if neighbors don't complain, they don't enforce it, but goat owners aways face the chance a home could be sold to someone who objects to goats.
    The goats in the pictures are cute. I wish you luck with your new goaties.

7. Sundari

Sundari New Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Denver, CO
    I'm not 100% sure, but I think it's for the city of Denver (and not greater Denver county). I've talked to some people in unincorporated "rural" Denver that have chickens and don't have permits (although they could just be rogue chicken farmers :). The bummer is that I live in west Denver, about 4 blocks from the border of Arvada. Arvada has no livestock permitting requirements - go figure!!

Yes, I'm lucky to be able to have them at all. I know some people that have permitted for chickens, but no one that has tried for goats. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed!!!!

-Sundari

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh I really hope it works out for you!! I think you found a great pair to be the parents of the kiddos

9. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Handsome buck and lovely doe.

10. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    They are gorgeous Sundari - but I must ask, what kind of camera do you own? Those are awesome pictures!

11. Sundari

Sundari New Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Actually, my husband gets the credit for the photos. He shoots with a Canon 40D with a Tamron 17-50 F2.8 lense. He's a professional photographer, and he tagged along to help me document the goats. He had a hard time shooting because the goats were very interested in his sweater and his camera bag :) but he got to take some quick shots.

Thanks for the nice comments about our goat parents. We're very excited!

-Sundari

12. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Amos--I was going to ask the same thing! I agree, those pictures are amazing!

And very nice looking goaties too, Sundari. :)

13. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Sundari, I did get your message on my website but I had no way to get in touch with you, I even tried here but I guess I missed you here.

I have a sister that lives in Conifer.

I do know of someone that has Nigi's in I believe she is in Greeley or very close to it. She has a lot of them.

I will have to keep you informed of a very large goat clinic that is held in Greeley in April. It is for all goats, they do show but the thing you might want to go oo is the classes. Keith does a amazing job at getting vets and different people in to do clinics. I believe it is like $10.00 because you get a book of notes from all the clinic information and it is well worth it. People come from Nebraska and Kansas for this.

All the clinics will be on Saturday the 25th of April.

Let me know if you are interested in it and I will let you know how to get the paperwork to attend. I know the info is not out just yet, I just talked to Keith about it and conformed the dates because we get a hotel.

14. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Those are really nice looking goats! I agree, you should get some wonderful kids from that doe. If you haven't committed yet and are still looking for a Nigerian breeder I can recommend one in the Parker area. I got my two girls from him last year. I don't know how good the milking lines are but his does had pretty good udders/teats.. of course, I was just getting started back then and might see them differently now. But, I got my girls to be able to milk, they aren't a year old yet so no breeding them for a while. He usually has a waiting list for his kids and his does generally start to kid in March.

One comment I have from seeing the slide show (which was great) is that I would suggest that all feeders and waterers be up off the ground so that they don't get pooped in.

15. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    What a pretty bunch of girls! And the buck...you should definately get some very pretty kids from that pairing. I'm glad you got to see them firsthand...and I like the fencing, I have a similar set up, though with the goat panels, so I don't need to use the chicken wire also. I agree with Cinder...when you get to bring your babies home, make sure the feed/water pans are up out of "berries" reach....I do hope that all works out for you to be able to get them.

16. Sundari

Sundari New Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Lori --- Please send me the info for those classes in Greeley. It would be wonderful to have the opportunity to learn more, and also to meet other goat people in Colorado! My email address is info@eatwhereUlive.com

Cinder --- Do you live near Denver? If, for some reason, things fall through with the breeder in Conifer I'll contact you about the breeder in Parker. Did I read your post correctly??? You were able to get your girls to give milk without getting them pregnant? How'd you do that?!? :)

Great tip from everyone about the food and water pans. I'm glad I was able to post the whole slideshow so you could give me your feedback!

-Sundari

17. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    I think what Cinder was saying is that she purchased her goats for milking purposes, but hasn't been able to breed them to produce milk yet because they are too young.

As far as I'm aware, the only way a goat can produce milk without being bred is if she develops a precocious (sp?) udder, and even then I've been told the milk tastes bad and should not be drank.

Please correct me if I'm wrong anyone.

18. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I will get you the info after I know it is out. It is a great thing to go to. Cinder you should go also. We can have a Goat Spot party. :leap:

Cinder lives down closer to me. She is in Elizabeth, down near Kiowa, (kind of).