The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be one of those stupid beginner questions, but I'm going to ask it anyway because I'm curious! My Purebred Nubian has a metal ear tag, about an inch in length an 1/4 inch in width. It has a 6-7 digit number on it. What is it, exactly? She was never shown, so her owners never bothered with tattooing her, is it just another ID form?

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking scrapie tag, but I googled it and couldn't ever get a description so I wasn't sure. Thanks!

·
Yes Dear Goat Farm
1,272 Posts
Yep, scrapie tag. There are many different shapes, colors and sizes used in different states, so there isn't one all-encompassing description.

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
I'm with bertnut I have heard you all say it but first what's a scrapie

·
I'm watching you
22,266 Posts
If every producer would comply so that the US could claim Scrapies free status, then we could export our sheep and goat meat to other countries with high demand for it. In the long run it would increase the economy of our farmers and ranchers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just bought a new buckling and we had a metal ear tag that came along with the health certificate from the vet. Since we were crossing state lines (6 to be exact) we had to get a health certificate from the vet and an ear tag to transport him.

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
Scrapie tags will have a state initial like CO for Colorado. COEP the EL is our county 17 is our farm number then the trash number. They need to have all that info.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I just asked a question similar to this. My goats came with a plastic yellow tag. Is this the same thing? Do i need to keep it on or can i take it off? If i can take it off, how do i do this?

·
Yes Dear Goat Farm
1,272 Posts
I just asked a question similar to this. My goats came with a plastic yellow tag. Is this the same thing? Do i need to keep it on or can i take it off? If i can take it off, how do i do this?
The plastic ones have a metal stud in the center, you can cut them off with a set of nippers. Just be sure whoever cuts it is strong enough to cut through with one cut so it's over and done quickly. Most goats are sensitive about their ears and will be twitchy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts