methods used for ID

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Shepherd Sue, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Shepherd Sue

Shepherd Sue New Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Hi, I have a few goats and that number is about to rise as my girls start kidding next week. Up to now I have not used any kind of tags. Just my spreadsheet with names and discriptions. I feel as the numbers grow I will need to start using some sort of tag. I have sheep so don't like the ear tags as they do get them stuck on fences and rip the ears sometimes. I loath the idea of a beautiful Nubian or Boar ear torn. I'm leary of the necklace incase they manage to get the tag on it stuck and hang themselves. I'm looking for advice on how best to manage this task. What do you use, why and pro's and con's to your methods please? I need to find something that will work for our farm. I know not every farm is the same and what works for one won't always work for another. Looking for the more experienced goat people to please chime in here. Finding something workable is driving me nuts :GAAH:

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

You could always tattoo inside their ear. You do that with registered dairy goats.

3. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Well I tag kids, I started to put the tags close to the head and it so far has stopped the torn ears. Does get a leather collar, basically a strip I cut then it's kept together with a cattle ear tag that way if they get in trouble it breaks off, if you make the collar fairly tight, not choking but not lose its hard to get anything stuck on it, all the ones I did loose are gone lol
    Now a man I know he gets a drimmel and puts numbers on the horns then puts paint on it so he can see it.

4. I put dog collars on mine and name tags that I get printed at "Premier sheep supply". Their pen has no brush to get caught on and when we got into the woods I am keeping a close eye out to make sure everyone is accounted for. I really needed the name tags cause I try to train everyone to come by their name and my husband would never remember the names and call them anything that came to mind. I tried the plastic chain but being it was loose it caught on things -the tighter dog collars seem to be working fine for me,

5. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    I use dog collars and take cattle ear tags and cut off the thing that pierces their ear. Then use a tag marking pen and put the goat's name on the tag and zip tie it to the collar. They are also tattooed when I disbud. (except lamanchas, they get to get a tat when the tail grows a bit!)

6. Lstein

Lstein Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2014
    North Dakota
    I also tag my kids, I use the free scrapie tags. I haven't had one rip one out yet, but it is always a possibility. I honestly have only had to see the numbers for a couple, when I still have all the 30ish kids. Even then, with that particular tag, it doesn't help much unless you walk around with a list since there's really no room to write a name or something on it.

If you need a temporary solution, until you can put a face to the goat, you could maybe use livestock chalk? It doesn't look the greatest though.....

7. FascinatingLady

FascinatingLady Member

Mar 6, 2016
    What is the free scrapie tag?

8. Lstein

Lstein Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2014
    North Dakota
  9. Shepherd Sue

Shepherd Sue New Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Thank you for all the great ideas! I think I will try the collars with cattle tags and keep them snug. I'll check them regular to make sure no ones collar gets too tight. :yes smilie:

10. Saddlebronc

Saddlebronc New Member

Sep 4, 2015
    scrapie tags in brush

I'll second the scrapie tags. My Kikos all have them, and they tackle the toughest brush around. Not that it'll never happen, but that's the practice with other Kiko owners I know, and not one of them has reported a torn ear.

The fact that they are free, painless to order, and complete with a good quality insertion tool doesn't hurt. :thumb:

We do follow general guidelines for 1/3 down the ear, centered to avoid the cartilage.

Good video here: https://youtu.be/m0isX1AJ98Q

Some elect to get the tag marker and augment the coding for their purposes. Mine have a bit more blank space than the picture above.

11. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    US
    I tattoo mine, but they're registered.

12. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    Mine have collars, but with only 26 goats of mostly different colors, I can tell who is who at a glance. I don't have to mark them or tag them for ID.