The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have always had a mouse or two at our barn. I was okay until I started seeing three or four or five! They are tiny but I still would rather them not cross my path. What are some good ways to get rid of them besides a trap and that's safe for the goats.

·
2,203 Posts
We have always had a mouse or two at our barn. I was okay until I started seeing three or four or five! They are tiny but I still would rather them not cross my path. What are some good ways to get rid of them besides a trap and that's safe for the goats.
Supposedly a 5 gallon pail 1/4 full of water with a layer of grain on top works great. Some people have said use sweet grain and also still two holes directly across from each other. Shove a dowel in those holes so they have something to walk on.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Have you thought about cats? I'm not sure if your willing to go that route or if you've already done that, but mine do help keep the mice in check.

If you don't like cats I would maybe try the super sticky traps in the areas they are likely to be in, go thru, ect. Also make sure you have any food sources sealed off. You could also try all natural repellants. Mice hate the smell of peppermint. Or maybe one of those mouse houses where the mouse actually has to go in it to die so it poses no threat to other animals.

I had some mice in my barn that were coming at night. Since my cats are indoor/outdoor (they're not spoiled barn cats at all :rolleyes:) they couldn't get them at night, so we used a homemade peppermint repellant and went on a sealing crusade. Since then I have seen no more droppings or evidence that they are around.. But, the peppermint does wear off so it has to be sprayed every day or couple days

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
I used to deal with mice by using a tamper proof mouse bait box under the goats shed... and I always would end up seeing a couple black snakes in my shed too (don't care for snakes at all!) I had 2 kittens dropped off here over a year ago, had the female spayed and they live with my goats... haven't seen a mouse or a snake there since :)
I do feed the kitties am and pm and they stay there... I've found them cuddled up with the kids in the stalls at night too.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I don't know if it would work in your area or not, but plain old half-filled buckets of water seem to draw mice here. Anytime I have bottle babies in the winter I usually find a couple of drowned mice in their water bucket when I'm checking waterers and tanks in the mornings. I guess it's because it gets cold enough here that all of their usual sources for water is frozen - not really sure. I never find them in the waterers, though. My house cat is a Siamese and she is hell on mice! I used to have a major problem with mice eating through bags of feed but, since I got her, I haven't had it happen again. She likes to go out in the evenings and follow me around while I feed. She usually catches a mouse while we are feeding. You might also try Ramik. It is solid mouse bait that you can toss underneath things like shelves, dressers that you use for storage in sheds/shops, behind half walls in shops, etc. It works pretty good. Since they are in your barn, you might also put out The Better Mouse Trap by Intruder. It is a scissors type trap that you don't to touch the mouse to remove him. Bait it with peanut butter and chocolate chips or Reese's peanut butter cups.

·
Colorful Quality Boers
6,648 Posts
I agree with GoatCrazy! Just a plain old bucket of water killed 17 mice for us in 10 days... there were 1 or 2 in the bucket every morning! We had been finding the nasty little things in our feed bins (trash cans). How they got in there I have no idea! So we put a bucket right next to the feed bins and they apparently fall/jump in and then drown! It only needs to be 3-4 inches deep.

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
I have a barn full of cats and kittens..come take all you want :) free!! All awesome mousers..:D

·
Registered
236 Posts
Cats worked great for use. We don't have a mouse problem so much as a rat problem. My favorite trap is a bucket half filled with water. Put a small board or stick going from the floor to the rim of the bucket for the mouse to climb up easily. Put a dowel rod or thick string across the top of the bucket. On the rod or string put a tin can with peanut butter on it. The mouse goes after the peanut butter and the can spins dumping it into the water.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts