The Goat Spot Forum banner

Microchipping- Love it!

951 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  toth boer goats 
#1 ·
I've always kinda wanted to microchip our goats, mostly the does we show as a backup in the event that tattoos become difficult to read. I tend to have really legible tattoos but the Lamancha tail webs are a little more difficult. Of course the perfect tattoos are going to be on the goats that aren't shown LOL

Anyway, last month we were at a show. Our Jr kid went GCH! Yay! Then her littermate sister went RCH! Woohoo! The GCH doe's tattoo was legible, however our RCH doe's tattoo was not! (headsmash) *For those that don't know- when your goat wins GCH and RCH tattoos are checked, the GCH doe earns a leg towards her a Championship- illegible tattoo means no leg can be awarded*

That was a first for us! Now, you could still see this doe HAD a tattoo, you just couldn't make it out. This was because I tattooed her young, at a few weeks old. She grew so fast the tattoo "stretched" across her tail web, making it illegible.

Thankfully it still worked out in our case but that was it, I'm going to try this microchipping thing.

While the goats still need to have tattoos, a microchip can be used as secondary ID at shows. Hopefully this will be a nice "back up".

I was still a little nervous, because years ago when we raised Kiko meat goats, our herdsire was chipped. The chip was massive, and he bled like crazy. Being new to goats at that time it freaked me out a bit.

I ordered the mini chips. The day after I placed the order, I received a call for our premise ID and scrapie number (another bonus- scrapie compliant).

They arrived in the mail, I opened the package and was pleasantly surprised on how little these chips actually are! How things have changed over the years! Still a bit nervous though, knowing that our goats are complete drama queens. Again, I was pleasantly surprised! The does did great and didn't put up a fuss. The process is very easy and not as intimidating as it seemed. The chips were scanned before and after inserting, all is well.

I sent the forms the ADGA and had the certificates revised, and re tattooed the doe.

If you've been considering microchipping, I highly recommend it!

If anyone has any questions, I'd be more than glad to help. :)

Food Packing materials Plastic wrap Plastic bag Plastic

See less See more
#2 ·
I love my microchips! I got the same system as you, with the pocket reader and the mini chips. I wanted mine as a backup to the tattoos also, for when I do linear appraisal. And also because of all the goat thefts that I keep hearing about lately, I figure an extra form of ID never hurts.

I microchipped my Nigerians in the tail web. None of them loved it, but some were more dramatic than others. I did my does by myself. With my kids, I had someone hold them while I microchipped them. Most of the kids didn't even cry, which leads me to believe that it wasn't THAT bad for my does, and they were just being drama queens :p (Goats being drama queens? What a shock!)

Also, it's kind of fun going around and checking microchips on all my shelter cats and my dogs to see which ones read :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.