The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a nice price! Have you used it already to run fecals? I had read somewhere that if it has to power it's a pain to find the parasites

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
That's one I've heard many people start with. I'm doing the same hunt right now, I want a more expensive higher power and binocular- BUT I just bought a milker and a new doe- hubby says I've spent my limit until next spring :( unless I can sell my two boys.

·
Registered
30,656 Posts
I bought one that was for science labs for school as well..it said not a toy but when I got it ..it sure looks like a toy!!! and all I see is my own eyelashes lol..it has both a lite and mirror to catch light..UGH..I cant see a thing though..maybe Im using it wrong..

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe a stupid question as I have started my quest for a microscope...when reviewing all the parasites to get familiar with I see the charts in color. Are there any microscope that will display your specimen in color? The one I used a while ago (it was a very old scope) seemed like everything was green and the parasites were black in color and the identification was more based off of shape.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I've been shopping for microscopes the last few weeks and I'm really wanting one that I can view on my computer and take a picture so I can send it to friends or post online if I cant identify what I'm looking at. Here's a link to the one I've been looking at. The computer in the add shows color, but I don't know from experience. Pretty neat tho!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/40X-1000X-G...875?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d3b20dc83

·
376 Posts
I've been shopping for microscopes the last few weeks and I'm really wanting one that I can view on my computer and take a picture so I can send it to friends or post online if I cant identify what I'm looking at. Here's a link to the one I've been looking at. The computer in the add shows color, but I don't know from experience. Pretty neat tho!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/40X-1000X-G...875?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d3b20dc83
I would love to try this one! I have the My First Lab one too but I have a heck of a time moving the slide. Might have to start saving my money for one like this!

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'd love one like this too but I've never bought a microscope before so I'm a little hesitant. Its compatible with my computer and my birthday is coming up so I guess I should just dive on in.

·
376 Posts
Since my biggest headache with trying to do my own fecals is moving the slide up, over, down, over, up etc... I would love to have one that has the mechanical stage AND uses a camera! (I don't want much, do I?)

The last two fecals I tried doing, I took a video through the microscrope using my Kodak EasyShare C613 camera on a tripod....(yeah my eyes are going too.. lol ) ... but I just about got seasick watching the video. Ended up taking a sample to the vet in the end! LOL

·
Registered
1,319 Posts

this is the one i've been looking at and it's on sale!! i guess i need to bite the bullet and get one.:leap::cool:

·
Registered
30,656 Posts
this is the one i've been looking at and it's on sale!! i guess i need to bite the bullet and get one
That is a great one..love the idea of hooking it up to the lap top!!! Hummmmm..I finally figured out what I was doing wrong on my little cheapie...now I can do my first real fecal..but I might have to consider this one, not a bad price either ;)

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Cathy - glad you figured it out. If I don't have a slide in mine, all I see is eyelash :)

Michael - the microscopes won't dye something for you but you can add dye to your sample. We turned spit red and blue and green simply by adding the dye that was included in our microscope kit. It's not magic though, water will dilute the dye and objects in the water will take the dye stronger. This way something will show up stronger but you won't be able to dye different things different colors. From what I know that can be done on much higher end computer equipment attached to microscopes. If there is a lower end scope that does that, I'd love to know.

We thought of getting one that attached to the laptop. I kind of wish we had. Much better view. Next time I spring for a microscope, that's what I want.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I really like the idea of taking a pic of a fecal and putting it in my goats medical record so I can look at my notes of when I did the fecal and have a photo to refer to. FUN! :D

·
Registered
179 Posts
Greenfield - I bought it last last night along with the items on the supply list! I'll just replace some of the items in my kitchen with the new ones and reassign the older strainer and timer strickly to poo doodies (I mean duties..couldn't resist) lol. I'll let you know and post pics of a fecal too so we can see exactly what it looks like..assuming I get it figured out. I got the shipping notice already! Hopefully, its user friendly for a beginner. I hope it gets here fast and I can get it figured out because I got some new goats last week. I wormed them last Fri so we'll get to see what's left from hatching eggs! Ohhhhh, I can't wait! :cake: Happy Birthday to us!

·
I'm not addicted - I'm in love!
5,018 Posts
I bought a low-priced one off ebay, and it's wonderful. I paid less than $10 including shipping. Just be sure you get a back-lit microscope. A front lit one makes the eggs invisible.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Greenfield - I bought it last last night along with the items on the supply list! I'll just replace some of the items in my kitchen with the new ones and reassign the older strainer and timer strickly to poo doodies (I mean duties..couldn't resist) lol. I'll let you know and post pics of a fecal too so we can see exactly what it looks like..assuming I get it figured out. I got the shipping notice already! Hopefully, its user friendly for a beginner. I hope it gets here fast and I can get it figured out because I got some new goats last week. I wormed them last Fri so we'll get to see what's left from hatching eggs! Ohhhhh, I can't wait! :cake: Happy Birthday to us!
Would love to see some pics on how it does I am on the verge of buying one and want to be sure I get one that best fits my need. I would also love to keep photos records so I could keep track the parasite impact based off of seasons and breeding.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Absolutely Michael. I'm thinking the same thing. I want to watch the parasite activity and when it spikes where I live. I want to watch worms but also the skin, particularly on my angora goats I just got last week. They were pretty heavily infested with skin parasites. I put the disgusting fleece (one giant knotted mat crawling with bugs) I sheared off in a sealed bag, but I'm gonna take a look at some of the bugs on the fleece and see if 2 mystery bugs are keds and fleas. I know there's lice and mites already. The neck mohair was thick with lice eggs too and kept that to look at. I know this sounds gross to some, but it will be a big learning experience and I want to grow the best fleece and have really healthy animals. It'll also give us the ability to nip problems in the bud early on. I'm happy to share pics and details about it so you all know if it's worth it and what it can do. I'll let you know :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts