The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a fun activity to try at home:
Have a goat deliver three healthy, tiny goats.
Then have another goat give birth to a beautiful little girl, then half an hour later give birth to her uterus. Ya. Uterine prolapse! It really takes the joy out new baby goats.
Called the vet at 11PM. Luckily she arrived at 12:00.
We decided on a hysterectomy since future pregnancies were not advised.
An hour and a half of surgery and a lot of screaming and my little goat was put back together - minus the uterus.
Poor goat!!
But then, we had to try and hold her up (and she did not want too) to feed the baby. The kid had a quick drink before I could not hold her any more. It was like holding an 80lb water balloon that you don't want to damage.
I made it to bed at 3AM. Up at 5AM and to the barn. Mom got up - slowly - and the baby had a drink. YAY!!!!!
Repeat at 7AM and 9AM.
Given the circumstance, things could not be going better. Mom is drinking and eating a little and she has peed and pooped. Baby is drinking and doing great.
The trips are also drinking and doing fine.

Now I can go to the barn and enjoy my new crop of San Clemente Island goaties. And maybe get some sleep soon?

Fairfax and her new girl, Larkspur.

Larkspur

Jasper with her trips.

Revelstoke

Icefield and Glacier

·
Registered
The Monkhood
3,094 Posts
What a long, tiring, mentally and physically challenging night at your place. The new additions are quite beautiful, love the color of Larkspur. Congratulations to you and the does. And prayers for the doe healing well without further complications. Virtual hugs of comfort and support for you, that was and is an ordeal to go through.

·
Registered
Breeding Quality Nigerian Dwarf Goats
1,612 Posts
Oh my goodness, what a scary night that must of been!! So sorry you had to go through all of that. I'm super happy to hear that everyone is doing great though! Hope mama Fairfax continues to recover, and all the babies are just simply adorable!

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Well glad everyone is doing ok now. Never had to deal with a goat prolapse before but cows. Goat would be much cleaner to deal with than cows are. Always felt so bad for them after clean up, putting it back in and sewing them up with what I swear looked like flat shoe laces. Cutest kids too!

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the kind words and thoughts everyone.

I do not know if there is a genetic component to uterine prolapse. The vet was very surprised that the goat was a very young doe and first time mom. Uterine prolapse is expected in older animals especially with many births. I would expect, as with many things, that there is a genetic component with strong environmental influences.

Had to give Fairfax an antibiotic injection last night. My first intramuscular jab. Just straight into the neck muscle, the vet said. It went okay, but not popular with the goat. The antibiotic burns and poor goatie tried to bury herself through the floor. I get to give her a painkiller injection tonight.

So far all my goats seem to be doing well. Fairfax is eating well and being a very attentive mother. She grunts and runs over to look as soon as her baby, Larkspur, is out of sight for a second. Larkspur is getting a bit of a bath later today. Some of her fur is still matted because of dried mucus from her birth. Fairfax, understandably, did not give Larkspur the thorough cleaning required that first day.

All the tiny tots are gaining weight and gaining control of their legs and making us laugh every time we are in the barn.

Btw, we have never used this vet clinic before. We have not needed a vet very often so far, and this was our first emergency where we needed a vet to come out to the farm. This clinic opened a couple of years ago. I have no way to judge the vet's abilities other than that my goat seems to be recovering, so I have no complaints at all. I still cannot believe we were able to get a vet out in an hour in the middle of the night.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,640 Posts
Glad they are all doing great! That all must have been a terrifying experience! The kids are so beautiful. I love the cream dorsal stripes. I didn't even know goats could look like that. Does that coloring stick to adulthood?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts