Might be a silly question - but

Discussion in 'Mini Mania' started by kelebek, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Yes I would look at that possibility

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No way would I do that

100.0%
  3. Depends on lines and / or how far away they were

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I was curious if I was the only one that has ever thought about working with another breeder from either close by or far away to "trade" doelings or bucklings from the same year for the cost of shipping to help each other out to bring in new lines or to improve something in the herds..... just thought that I would ask opinions.

2. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Not that this is an option for me right now, but I voted for the first choice.

I work with reptiles, and this is pretty common in that hobby. A year ago I did a trade, a black and white tegu for a red tegu, we each paid to ship the lizards to each other, otherwise it was a straight trade.

I've also done so with ball pythons.

So if I was breeding quality goats and could come to an agreement with someone, I'd certainly pay to ship a goat to someone that paid to ship a goat to me.

3. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I would also think about it and may look into it. . . . I doubt anyone would want to trade their goats for mine. . . . ;) We're still pretty new at this.

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Olivia,

That might be where you are not giving yourself enough credit :wink:

I am seeing how many people are interested and then if enough are - I am thinking about setting up a list to help connect people that are interested....

By the way Olivia, I would really like to talk with you about a trade - and it wouldn't be much for us since we really are pretty close to each other!!

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    with how comprobable pricing is in the nigerian world you basicallly are selling a goat so that you can pay for another goat of equal value to add to your herd. I see no reason why an equal trade would be a bad decision -- saves you the trouble of the money handling.

6. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I don't see why not...sounds like a plan to me! If I ever did that I would really have to be motivated and really really want the goat though, but not a bad idea at all. I would get a little nervous when it came to dealing with the shipping AND trading combined. But actually that's a pretty good idea!

7. Julie

Julie New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Southern PA
    Sure ... why not !? :) :thumbup:

8. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    We have taking a buckling and doeling as a breeding fee before though or we would breed a doe to the buck that we wanted them to be bred to before the buck went to it's new home.

9. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    i would definetly, but the shipping would be killer, unless someones coming up on vacation to alaska.

10. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Of course I understand that some have stronger lines then others - so that would be something to look at.

I think that I will let this thread go just a little longer - and then I will show you all what I am up to!!! LOL!

11. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i would if shipping wasn't completely nuts liike maybe 250 i could swing, but not 3 or 4 hundred

12. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    We have had a buckling and a doeling shipped to Ohio from Oregon before and NJ too.

13. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    A trade with comparable confirmation would be great...depends on how long the travel time would be and if FedEx would deliver to my doorstep...not real keen on the long drive to the airport...way to much of a hermit for that to happen :greengrin:

14. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    I love the idea. . . I am planning on breeding minis for milk, outcrossing would be great if I only paid shipping. . . good idea Allison . . . :thumb:

15. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    I would do it-only if the goats were + in value and the shipping wasn't high. That is a great way to bring in new bloodlines without breaking the bank-(like any of us have $$$ after hay and feed) :wink:

16. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Oh darnit Allison...I hate when you do this to us!! :ROFL:

17. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    **bump** Allison, are you going to keep us in suspense? you know I can't take suspense . . . I suffer from a serious need to know syndrome . . . I'll break out if yu don't tell me what your up to soon . . . :greengrin:

18. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    I think it would be a fine thing to do. And I agree, come clean Allison, the suspense is killing me and I just can't take it anymore!

19. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Yep, I definitely think that it would be a GREAT way to do it! IMO it is a VERY good idea Allison! :hi5:

20. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Ok- This is what I would like to do -

For everyone that would LIKE to entertain trades,

Please either PM or email me at sunset_lake_ranch@yahoo.com with the following information:

- Where you are located
    - What BREED you are looking for
    - If you would like to trade doeling or buckling or either
    - How much you are willing to spend on shipping MAX
    - What qualities are you looking for in the traded animal to help your herd - i.e. udder capacity, bone structure........

Then is what I am going to do is organize all the information and make a thread that is easy to locate the information so that maybe we can start "helping each other out"

How does that all sound?