Might be able to get goats - FINALLY :D

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by PiccoloGoat, Dec 5, 2009.

1. PiccoloGoat

PiccoloGoat goat girl x0x0

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    Hey yall :)

This weekend we went out to Orange, NSW and had a look at a property of about 110 acres. The house is big and nice and mum is really keen to move. If we go through with it, which we most likely will, we can move there in around 6 months.
    Best of all, If we do, i can FINALLY get some animals :D

The old, old owners of the property bred dogs of some sort, we think greyhounds, and there is a handful of old dog runs with small sheds/shelters on them. The fences are all good, and high. i'm guesstimating about 10ft by 50ft big, and they all open up into one big paddock.
    Would this be good for goats?
    And i'm worried about the dams, would i have to be careful having the goats with a dam, or will they be ok? i'm just worried they may drown or something :S

anyway, it's really nice and i hope we move there :thumb:

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    that would be awesome......I hope it happens for you... sounds like ...an ideal setup for goats.... :love: :greengrin:

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oo set up pens already NICE

as to the Dam -- goats rarely like water and stay clear of it so they should be ok --- can you put a fence up so tehy cant get near it just in case?

4. PiccoloGoat

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    I don't think fencing the dam off is an option, but it's an idea. I don't think the dam in that paddock is very deep anyway, I was just asking incase anybody had experience with goats and dams. :)

Another note, can goats walk over cattle grids? I know they are great climbers, and the big paddock infront of the house has a cattle grid instead of a gate, because the road goes through the property to get to next door. If they can walk over them, say the cattle grid was longer, would it be too hard for them to cross? If they can, it's no big deal, they probably won't be in that area anyway, just wondering.

5. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Goats can and will cross cattle guards, without a problem. Seen it done plenty of times!

6. PiccoloGoat

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    hehehe, thanks for confirming that epona.

here's a pic of the dog runs, kindof. we didn't think of getting a better picture at the time.
    [​IMG]

the first run you can see is the second one along, it's got beehives in it. the first one has a small orchard of (we think) cherry trees. i'm not sure how many runs there are all up, maybe 10?
    anyway, what do you think? :)

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Cherry trees are poisonous to goats -- do not let them in the run with the cherry trees.

8. PiccoloGoat

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    ok, are pear trees poisonous to goats? theres a whole heap of them near the house.

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    pears are fine :)

the fruit trees that are poisonous to goats are all the "pitted fruits" (cherries, peaches, plums) the fruit is ok just not the pits or the trees themselves.

10. PiccoloGoat

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    oh thanks! :thumb:

that makes it easier to decide whats ok for them haha.

mum doesnt really like pears and i told her if we left goats with them, they'll eat whatever they can reach. she said she wants them to eat them xD