Mika my nd) kidded .... BUT ...

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by Julie, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Julie

Julie New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Southern PA
    she HATES her baby ! :(

She had a beautiful little white doeling who has two little brown spots on her back.
    I came home from church, and after putting groceries away and changing clothes, went down just to check on Mika, and to bottlefeed Bambi. There was Mika's baby on one side of the kidding stall (it's not a very large stall), and the baby on the other side. Mika wanted NOTHING to do with it.
    The baby tried walking towards Mika - and Mika rammed it in the head.

So I've been working with them both (it's 3:23am here right now - I'm getting NO sleep!) to try and get them to bond. But it is NOT working ! Mika HATES her ! She rams her, bites her, etc. She's not in the LEAST bit even CURIOUS about her - she just wants NOTHING to do with her. sigh.
    I had to tie Mika and hold her while the baby SEARCHED for a teat - and FINALLY found it and sucked a little. It got a few sucks on each teat. Then I put a kid sweater on the baby, and put her on blankets in the heat box - under the heat lamps. I'm going down every 2-4 hours to give her milk (one way or another). It's suppose to be a really cold night here tonight - so she's gonna have to stay in the heat box. I'm not chancing putting her with Mika and her getting cold and sick or worse. I'm getting ready right now to take a pillow, a fuzzy sweater and a teddy bear down for her.

I think I'm just gonna milk Mika ~ and bottlefeed the baby. Tuesday I have to clean for my aunt, and will be gone all day - so it will probably be easier to jsut get her on a bottle, and take her with me. Since Mika wants nothing to do with her anyway. And I can't NOT work for my aunt - because I desperately need the money ~ since that's where my money is comming from (saving it up gradually) to buy my doe from Eliya in May. SO I can't miss a day of working for my aunt - I only clean for her every other Tuesday - so I can't stand to miss. So I guess I'll get the baby on a bottle and just take her with me when I have to go places (like my aunts). It'll probably be the easiest, and best solution in this situation.

I also gave the nutridrench to her as well. Thank God that Dona was on ! SHe calmed me down and talked me through everything - since I can't think when something like this happens !!

So anyway, I guess I have a new bottle baby. I'll get pics posted soon :D

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Well, Julie Congratulations on the little doe :stars: ....and you are right, if Mika rejected her, it is best to bottlefeed and have her where you do. This would be your Hanks baby, right? So a full ND?...Need to see piccies tooo!! Sounds like you have a great mentor and you have everything under control!

3. Julie

Julie New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Southern PA
    Re: Mika my (nd) kidded .... BUT ...

Well, it's 7:30am here right now - and I got a total of about 1 & 1/2 hrs of sleep last night :coffee

Still am tieing Mika and holding her so Baby and try to nurse .... and still at this point (after having done that a few times) she still wants NOTHING to do with the baby. She tries to bite or ram it every chance she gets when it's close to her. So I've been trying to start it on a bottle as well as let it nurse Mika a little. And at 7am I was just down to the barn for it to eat, and it actually sucked the bottle :D So I'm glad about that ! It doesn't really bother me to have it as a bottle baby ~ I would prefer that it would be with mamma nursing, but if she doesn't want it ~ it's really not a big deal to me to have to bottle feed it. Alot more WORK and TIME ... YES. But it would also be alot of work to continue to go down, tie Mika, pin her up against the wall and hold her still, and wait for baby to nurse - each time it needs to eat (until she accepts it - which I don't think she is going to). So I guess I'll just bottle feed it. ANd I am milking Mika FOR the bottle anyway. SO she's getting Mika's milk :D Hey - she's gonna get that milk ONE WAY or ANOTHER ! ;-) Little Miss Mika's just gonna have to deal with ONE of us nursing her ...hahaha !
    Plus if I get to frustrated trying to milk Mika's tiny teats - I do have some of Oreo's milk froze, plus was planning on starting milking her soon (like once her kids are 4 weeks old). So one way or another - this baby will be getting fresh goat milk regardless :D
    And she's staying nice and cozy and warm - because in between feedings she is put in the heat box :D Plus our cats are wonderful den mothers ! I left one of my kitties in the heat box with her (they're SHUT in there - I have to open a door for them to get out). ANd the kitty went in on her own free will - because of course the kitties LOVE the heat lamps :D Plus my kitties LOVE my goats ! They are always sleeping with them, and even sometimes play with them. So "Spice" is in with the baby right now - she'll keep her company, and help keep her warm. I love how my cats are - they are so great with my goats, and it's so nice to have them this way - especially now - since I have a rejected baby ! They make WONDERFUL surrogate mothers ! I'll TRY to get a good picture of Spice and the baby together in the heat box the next time I go down.

I must be crazy for still being AWAKE ! I should go get some sleep before Jasmine wakes up !

But first I'll share a couple pics of the baby quick. Don't mind her mouth/chin though - dumb me - I took the pictures AFTER trying to give her some nutridrench. :roll: So she has a "brown" mouth/chin.

She is white, with 2 little brown spots on her back, and I think one brown spot (I just noticed it right when I was leaving the pen the last time) on her butt/leg.

Here's the spots ...
    [​IMG]

Here she is posing in her new pink sweater ...
    [​IMG]

ANd here she is in her cozy bed ...
    [​IMG]

Yes - she is a full nd :D Hank x Mika.

4. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    She's a cutie!!! Some does are just not meant to be nursing mom's. Except for one of mine this year-we never leave our kids on the mom's. All are bottle/bucket fed. I did have one mini decide to kid without me-so her 2 stayed on her. I hope you catch up on your sleep:). I know that nights dont seem to last long enough sometimes.

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    OH, Julies. How could anyone reject that adorable face? I also love that coat.
    Something you might try that i am sure you already know about, out some Vet RX or Vicks , on the doe's nose and some on the baby's head and above the tail. Something else I have done is milk mom and I poor it on the baby so it smells like her.
    I had a baby that her mother wanted NOTHING to do with one of her babies. No matter what I did. I was lucky that two days later I had a FF (Monica) kids. As soon as she was done kidding I took the orphan baby and I rubbed her all over Monica's butt to get that smell all over her. She took to her like her own.

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Congratulations Julz!!! So I just missed you on IM but thats ok, probably means you are getting some sleep

She is adorable, thanks for the picture :D

7. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Well, I hope you are sleeping also. What a sweet baby! I've seen a picture of a kid in a human baby diaper. Since you have to take her to work with you...you might try it...since your job involves cleaning (what's that), I'm sure your aunt won't want to follow a kiddy around cleaning up "baby beans". :slapfloor: She's adorable. I'm sure she'll do just fine.

8. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    She is adorable!! And the perfect combination of Hank AND Mika! I do hope you got some sleep! I posted this morning AFTER I came in from milking and BEFORE work, andhere you were...new kid and NO sleep!

9. goatiegurl*Oh

goatiegurl*Oh Senior Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio