The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, firstly I have to say I'm in New Zealand so my seasons are the reverse and this is not out of season!

I have a 2yo Nubian/Saanen cross doe here, and I've got some confusing signs three weeks after breeding. I'd thought she was bred some months ago, as she was running with my young buck, the other two does are confirmed pregnant and I'm seeing the first signs now, but it turns out she was simply being too rough and bossy to let him anywhere near her.

Over here the normal breeding season is right on the verge of finishing so I'm desperately trying to breed her before its too late.

After finding out she wasn't letting him do his job, last cycle I grabbed her and held her, and he did his job perfectly adequately (try about a dozen times). I've been watching for her heat signs to come back on about now.

Her normal heat signs are increased grumpiness (no mean feat from her normal disposition I assure you!), wagging tail, pink spot, the buck discreetly watches her, and as soon as I grab her he has about a two second response time to do his job.

This time, I'm watching and hoping she doesn't come back on. She's due today and yesterday.

No abnormal behavior, no tail wagging. So far so good. Can't be certain whether she has the pink spot or not ... its never obvious.

So I popped the lead on her and led her past the boy. He shows interest ... sniffs ... waits ... loses interest ... comes back ... breeds her a couple of times in a half hearted sort of way, wanders of and never looks again.:confused:

(Visualize a smiley that shows a frustrated owner wishing to strangle poor Rita)

So what? He's only 6 months old, usually rather over enthusiastic, but never seen him try a doe who wasn't on before. Has he just got an eye for the main chance? Or is he as unsure as I am? I usually know for sure with her.

Is it possible that she's showing mild heat if she was pregnant last cycle?

Is it possible that this mild heat is because the season is running out and I've missed my chance?

I'm getting a bit concerned about her, I bought her 6 months ago from a woman who had to sell her because she couldn't fence her in. She's truly beautiful conformation, my best goat by a long stretch. But she's got one extra pair of teeth come through for her age and I'm beginning to wonder whether she's a year older than advertised and the last owner couldn't settle her.

She was supposedly born 21 november 2011, but shes got 3 pairs of teeth through ... websites on that vary, one quotes that as ok, (1st pair @1 year, 2nd @18 months, 3rd @2 years) most say she's a year older.

I'm really getting worried about this girl ... shes my best, most expensive purchase, and besides, we get on ... she's a B*#ch but I love her!

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Did you restrain her very much when the buck mounted? You say she usually flags, but you didn't mention her flagging this time. To me that means she may not have been in heat, as in possibly pregnant. I sometimes make notes on the buck's opinion too, but I give more credence to the doe signs. Keep teasing her. Mine go from "maybe" to "totally in love" to "desperate" to "yeah, but I'm hungry and I'm not following you" to "oh hell no". I understand this doe is not typical, but do follow up for another 48 hours to see if there is any change in her behavior. Hopefully she will totally hate him.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Restraint is just having her on a lead, and a hand on one horn to steady her should she try to turn around and *** him one. She can't hurt him or run away, but she's free to sidle and kick up bobsy di if she wants. Normally she'll sidestep at just the right moment to foil his attempts, but there is a window in the middle of heat where although she won't stand on her own, if I have her on the lead she won't sidestep, that and the boy's enthusiasm is the indicator she's in her version of standing heat. That didn't happen this time ... the strongest behavior was about equivalent to her "Maybe" phase.

She does usually flag a bit through heat. Not this time.

She was hand raised by someone who taught her to 'play' rough and but people. In addition to that she's been most of her life on her own, no other goats until I got her. She's the queen goat, likes being part of a herd and gets on well with them, but just doesn't seem to realize its not normal to assert her dominance all day every day.

She's great with me though, we have an understanding, and she's forgotten all about pushing people.

I think she'd stand quite happily for a big strong buck who outweighed her and would give as good as he got ... but my boy's young.

Today she's definitely not interesting, no pink at all and no interest from the boy, which pretty much says she was a little on yesterday, although not by much. Oh well I shall just have to wait and see. Should only take three months for the first sign.

If it was the very last heat of the season, could mild show like that be normal for an open goat?

·
2,203 Posts
A lot of goofy activity can occur up to 3 months in. Until her hornones balance out and say "hey! We're pregnant. Start acting like it!"

·
1,524 Posts
When the embryo's implant onto the uterine wall, the does will sometimes show what looks like a heat, but it's not. Maybe that's what she was doing?

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I am with Karen. Last year I had a doe breed willingly. She showed some very obvious signs of heat in three weeks so I let her in with the buck again and did have to hold her. I only jotted down the second date. When she went into labor what I thought was 3 weeks early, I panicked but the babies were fine. She obviously caught on the first try.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts