The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
TKC Farms
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you ever need to give a milk baby probotics? Just wondering if their little system is wired for that at an early age. My scale to weigh him comes in Saturday (this weekend). Then I can get an accurate weight on him and feed by the formula.

·
Registered
Goats
757 Posts
Do you ever need to give a milk baby probotics? Just wondering if their little system is wired for that at an early age. My scale to weigh him comes in Saturday (this weekend). Then I can get an accurate weight on him and feed by the formula.
Bottle baby? Yes i have gave probiotics to a bottle baby before. If that's what your asking.

·
TKC Farms
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I actually put a pinch of probiotics in the first bottle of the day for all my bottle kids. I figure it won't hurt them, and since they're getting pasteurized milk, I think getting some good bacteria introduced to their systems might be helpful.
Thanks to all this helps me a lot.

·
Registered
30,154 Posts
Probiotics are important to help with rumen growth. Once a day in his bottle won't hurt at all.

·
TKC Farms
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Probiotics are important to help with rumen growth. Once a day in his bottle won't hurt at all.
I give a pinch of soda in the first bottle of the day, I’d it ok to do both?

Reactions: MadHouse

·
Registered
30,154 Posts
I would do one in first bottle and one in last.

Reactions: toth boer goats

·
TKC Farms
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This evening after I fed Baxter I was washing out his bottle and he came and reared up on me wanting more milk. I had a bottle I hadn’t rinsed out so I caught about 2 ounces of water and shook it up. I gave it to him and he wolfed it down. Doesn’t it hurt to give him a little water after feeding?

·
Registered
30,154 Posts
It's never a good idea to give water from a bottle. Electrolytes 2 hours after milk is ok but usually not necessary. Kids will always act hungry no matter how much we feed. 😉

·
TKC Farms
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
How long do you bottle feed a baby goat? Just curious. He is 3 weeks old today. I have been feeding a bottle and a half. This would be about 13 ounces. According to the formula, it looks like this, he weighs 15.9 ounce X 16 = 264.4 x .15 = 38.16 / 4 feedings = 9-1/2 ounce per feeding. I think going back to one 9 ounce bottle a feeding and maybe a 11 ounce feeding for first feeding of the day with a pinch of baking soda and probotics in the first feeding. Then it would be one 11oz feeding + three 9 ounce feedings. 11+9+9+9=38 ounces. What do you all think? I have been feeding 14 ounces at each feeding.

·
TKC Farms
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is the kid doing ok on 14 oz? You would want to bottle feed for a minimum of 8 weeks but 12 weeks is better.
He hasn’t shown any problems. He probably now weighs 16 pounds. I have been feeding 20% of his weigh but he has never scoured once. I gave him a Coccidia treatment last Monday, he was 14 days old then. He is very active and is now in pasture with the big goats. He jumps around and runs where ever he goes, sideways, frontwards and jumping up and down like a deer. Tonight I cut him back to 9 ounces which is close to the 15% of his body weight.

·
TKC Farms
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
He hasn’t shown any problems. He probably now weighs 16 pounds. I have been feeding 20% of his weigh but he has never scoured once. I gave him a Coccidia treatment last Monday, he was 14 days old then. He is very active and is now in pasture with the big goats. He jumps around and runs where ever he goes, sideways, frontwards and jumping up and down like a deer. Tonight I cut him back to 9 ounces which is close to the 15% of his body weight.
I just want to do what he needs to be healthy. I put a pinch of baking soda and a little scoop of probiotics in the first bottle every morning.

·
TKC Farms
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is a picture of him and my puppy at feeding time. And a pic of his rear end.
IMG_4622.jpg
IMG_4556.jpg

·
Super Moderator
58,455 Posts
What a cute puppy! I don't see the point in cutting back milk if he is doing well. There is no written in stone way to bottle feed. Part of bottle feeding is going with your gut on amount. Some kids just need more than what is typically suggested on here. Going from a 14 Oz bottle to a 9 Oz bottle is a drastic drop, especially if it turns out he needs the larger amount. If you are having problems, then by all means reduce the amount. But if he is a healthy, happy kid, then you are just going to have a hungry kid.

·
Registered
Goats
757 Posts
He is a cutie! Love his butt lol I would leave his feedings the way they are. I have two Lamancha/Nubians and they are eating 16 oz at one feeding but one feeding of the day they get 18 oz each. I also have a Nubian buck who is eating 20 oz at one feeding. That is what the people were feeding him before I got him.

·
Registered
921 Posts
This has been my first time with bottle kids, and I ended up feeding them about 20% of their body weight, too. They seem to be doing well. Still not growing as fast as my dam-raised kids, but better than they were when I was only doing 10 or 11% of bodyweight for them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts