milk goat needed?

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by cypressfarms, Aug 5, 2009.

1. cypressfarms

cypressfarms New Member

Aug 2, 2009
    I've read that many meat goat farms keep a dairy goat or two to raise the kids that aren't accepted by their moma's. Is this standard practice? I've looked at dairy breed descriptions, and it appears that either Nubians or Saneen (sp?) would probably be best for my environment - HOT.

Any suggestions? I'm assuming that you would breed the dairy does to the meat bucks to start their milk, and keep them in milk as long as possible to be a surrogate mother if needed.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Not all goats will just accept an orphaned baby (or rejected baby) so you would probably jsut be using the milk to bottle feed or holding the doe for kids to nurse. All of which are fine options.

3. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Most meat breeders find a dairy breeder down the road to get milk from, or use replacer. I think milk makes healthier kids. From personal experience, if you do have a dairy doe and kid her around the same time as your meat does, if one of the meat does has an orphan, there may be enough hormonal instincts left in the newly kidded dairy doe so that she will accept a kid. Otherwise, go with a Saanen, they let anybody nurse anytime on most goats :roll:

4. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    We bought a Nubian right along with the Boers cause I heard that they dont always have enough milk for their babies.
    Have found that to be hogwash. Not only that, but they are good mamas except for one who rejected the smallest as an FF.
    She tried to reject the smallest on her 2nd kidding but I worked with her she is now fine raising trips.
    What I did find was that the Nubian quaded & had to buy goats milk to supplement! :angry:
    Its always great to have extra milk on hand with a dairy doe!

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    If you look at bringing in a "milk momma" which is what they are called in Turkey - you want to make sure that they come from great milk lines so that you will get good capacity and a great amount of milk for what you are doing. Just with any specie/breed - just cause they are supposed to be "a good milker" - per say - the genetics behind them are going to dictate how they really do! Does that make sense?