The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to Milk goats and want to get started with a good breed. I want a girl that produces a fair amount of milk that tastes good and I want to make cheese out of it. Can you tell me a good breed that meets this criteria or have one for sale?

·
Registered
635 Posts
Sannen, Nubian or Lamancha are large sized goats that give plenty of milk if fed correctly-Nigerians give rich creamy milk but less and gfor me even with my small hands hard to milk-How much land do you have?

·
Registered
355 Posts
I would get a couple of oberhasli, quiet and easy milkers. Don't get a buck, just find a breeding connection that you can bring your girls to.

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
Do you want large breed diary goats or mini's? Pregnant does or kids to start? If you want to make cheese, you probably want a breed with higher milkfat by %. So, large breed-Nubian, mini's-Nigerian. Or a cross with either of these and another dairy breed. Do you just want cheese for the family or would you sell some? Either of these breeds will give less milk per goat then the Saanen or Alpne. But you get more cheese/lb. with the Nubian/Nigerian.

You should know that Nubians tend to be a little more "vocal" then the others, so that may be an issue if you have close neighbors. Nigerians are smaller and easier to handle, and you could have 4 on that size property. They may be more challenging to milk if you have large hands. And, they tend to have "litters" of 3 or even 4 kids at a time (I had 5 once).

Of course you can make cheese with the other breeds, and have milk for the family. I also have 2 alpine girls, and they are very nice. Love to have a Saanen (the white ones), but, so little room, lol. Toggenbergs were developed for cheese making, however, their milk is a little strong for drinking.

Whatever breed you decide on be sure to purchase from "tested" herds. Buy from a reputable breeder, not an auction. If you are getting a "doe in milk", they should let you try her milk, some are better then others. See her on the milkstand and have a milking lesson. Read up on mastitis. Good luck, these ladies (and you guys) can help with your decision...get pics and put them up here and we can critique away! Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts