Milk Goiter?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Sunny Daze, May 19, 2010.

1. Sunny Daze

Sunny Daze New Member

May 18, 2010
    Fairplay, MD
    I am pretty sure I have a doeling with milk goiter. She is about 9 weeks old, 75% nubian, 25% nigerian. Her dam is full nubian. Her brother was sold as a bottle baby so she has been the only one nursing her dam and getting a lot of milk. She is growing like a weed! Anyway, she started getting a lump in her throat area a few weeks ago. It has gradually increased in size. It is soft and in the area where her throat meets the jaw. Perfectly symmetrical. Exactly like the pics I have seen of milk goiter. I have been reading some and have read it has to due with lack of iodine in some places, and others say don't do anything and it will resolve after weaning. It certainly doesn't seem to bother her. I am wondering if I should be doing anything or just let it be and it will resolve on its own? Never had this in any of my nigies but one site I found said it is more common in nubians? Anyone with experience on this?

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Treatment for iodine deficiency that isn't caused by plants that prevent iodine uptake is to add iodized salt to the goat's diet. Many prepared goat feeds use non-iodized mixing salt because the particles are small and have better mixing qualities. The amount of organic iodine (EDDI) put into prepared feeds is controlled by the U. S. Food & Drug Administration. Severe iodine deficiency can be treated more quickly by painting 7% iodine on a hairless part of the goat's body such as the tailweb. Free-choice feeding of kelp -- dried seaweed -- is probably the best method available. Kelp isn't always easy to find and is expensive but consumption per goat is small so overall cost should not be a major concern. A 50-pound bag of kelp lasts a long time and can be mixed with loose goat minerals to encourage consumption. Feed stores can special order kelp.

3. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Probably cheapest to paint her tail with iodine. I myself keep kelp on hand but the goats eat it like MAD so there is no way I would put it out free choice. I'd be broke in a week. he he he lol I usually mix it with the minerals to stop them from eating so much of it.

4. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    My hubby is Asian, so we get it at the Asian Market in Atlanta in bulk.

Gina

5. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I would just leave it alone. When we had boers the kids used to get milk goiters all the time(the dairy kids do too, just not as many) they go away after weaning.

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

I do keep Kelp out free choice all the time. They do eat it like crazy at first, then is slows down.

7. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    It's nothing to worry about, I have several little Nubian kiddo's with milk goiters right now, I just leave them alone. :)

8. Sunny Daze

Sunny Daze New Member

May 18, 2010
    Fairplay, MD
    Thanks for the replies! We will be out of town this weekend but I plan to wean her when we get back so hopefully it will go away then.

9. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I'm sure it will disappear once she's weaned...may take a few weeks to do so but I bet all will be normal again.