The Goat Spot Forum banner

Milk having a foul taste & smell

934 views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Nubiandairy 
#1 ·
Hope all is well...Can someone maybe give me advise on this? I have Saanen goats,the one gives me the most delicious tasty milk ever and the other one has the most foul tasting and smelling milk ever...is there something wrong with her rumen?Has anyone ever came across this?

#9 ·
Some goats are just like that. Not usually Saanens though. Are you milking before feeding? Giving at least 4 hours (or longer if possible) between when they last ate to when you milk them will clean up the milk. Also giving baking soda will raise the butter fat and clean up the taste a bit. A cup a day I would think would do it. Just some things to try.

#10 ·
I am working so I can't really feed and wait 4hours before milking,thus I milk whilst she feeds...My goats have tapeworm now so I have treated them for it and is currently not using their milk...will look into the baking soda when I can start using the milk again-thanks for the advice...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.