Milk pasterizer and hand milker pump

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Udder Insanity Toggs, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Udder Insanity Toggs

Udder Insanity Toggs New Member

Mar 1, 2008
    Saylorsburg, PA
    I just bought a vintage Home Health Pasteurizer for my kids on CAE prevention, and am really excited to get to use it. I have an electric stove that is a real piece of crap - radiant heat, older. It takes forever to heat, heats unevenly (fine for boiling water though lol). I also bought one of Maggi Dans milkers last year but didn't have a doe to use it on. I plan on doing most of the milking, or my boyfriend Jeremy will do it. He actually is better at it than I am, and I think the does like the fact that he always has warm hands, and soft skin :love: However we do go away for rabbit shows on the weekends and sometimes others may have to milk for us, so I thought getting a simple hand milker could make friends and neighbors more willing to do goat chores for us while we are out of town.

If we have :girl: born this year, they will be raised on CAE prevention. The :boy: will be dam raised, as I really have no need to retain a grade buck from this breeding.

How does everyone quick cool their milk? Can I just pour the milk into an ice water bath and stir until cool, then refrigerate? Or is there a better method to use? I don't have a working ice maker in my fridge, so I will have to resort to trays I guess. Sometimes winter is a good thing, I could leave the trays (or any container) outside on the porch and by morning there are a lot more ice cubes than I could ever fit in my freezer. And then there is fresh snow too - ugh, maybe I'll have to get the ice maker fixed...LOL!

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and ideas!

Kelly :)

2. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I strain mine into quart jars and cool in an ice water bath. Works great. Sometimes I use a small ice chest, to help it stay cold longer.