The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would love to know how everyone markets their milk.
Soaps? Food products? Raw milk? Who are you buyers?

·
Registered
775 Posts
Around here, it is illegal to sell milk. However, I know many peole with large herds who get around the law by having buyers join their co-op. I would love to sell all our extra, as I hate to see it go to waste, but I would seriously hate to be arrested for selling milk. The laws are just not fair!

·
Registered
7,604 Posts
I live in WA State and it is illegal to sell milk, I bought goats milk off Craig's list that stated not for human consumption, but well that's why I bought it:) I will also advertise it as not for human consumption, but ultimately it will be up to them. When I bought it I did make sure they drank it, came from a disease free herd, and that they had good sanitary practices when processing the milk. I now have 1 kinder in milk, 1 pregnant, and one Nubian/Lamancha we believe is pregnant, so I will be having a lot of milk soon:)

·
2,180 Posts
In Wisconsin all raw milk is illegal. Cheese, soaps, etc. Have to carry a license and surrender to quarterly inspections.

·
Registered
426 Posts
In Wisconsin all raw milk is illegal. Cheese, soaps, etc. Have to carry a license and surrender to quarterly inspections.
Nice u can get a license over there in mn it's a no go! I advertise for crafting purposes and usually get a few hits

Sent from my iPhone using GoatSpot

·
Super Moderator
59,602 Posts
Raw milk is illegal in Ohio. Must be a grade A dairy to sell anything else. So my milk is for personal use only.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I live in WA State and it is illegal to sell milk, I bought goats milk off Craig's list that stated not for human consumption, but well that's why I bought it:) I will also advertise it as not for human consumption, but ultimately it will be up to them. When I bought it I did make sure they drank it, came from a disease free herd, and that they had good sanitary practices when processing the milk. I now have 1 kinder in milk, 1 pregnant, and one Nubian/Lamancha we believe is pregnant, so I will be having a lot of milk soon:)
I've looked into the WA laws extensively and even to sell for animal consumption one has to have a license. AND the milk has to have added color, to make it less likely to be drank by humans. I do see a lot of people selling it for animal use, but given that it still holds a $1000 fine and/or year in jail, per count... not worth the risk in my book.

They tried to pass a bill in 2011 but it didnt get pushed through and I dont see that any further attempts have been made. HAD it passed, those with less than 2 cows or I think 8 goats would not have had to have a license to sell FROM THEIR FARM. You would still need one to sell from any other location.

I was talking with a friend about how dumb the law is. They cite the "health risks" of raw milk (of course without any mention of the health BENEFITS)... but her interesting point was that we have the CHOICE to purchase/sell and/or consume all sorts of other things that are unhealthy. This list now includes marijuana too (well, not the selling yet... but the consumption!)! LOL So... it's legal to eat fast food, soda, cheetos, etc... to drink booze and smoke cigarettes or pot, but you can get thrown in the slammer for raw milk. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,604 Posts
I've looked into the WA laws extensively and even to sell for animal consumption one has to have a license. AND the milk has to have added color, to make it less likely to be drank by humans. I do see a lot of people selling it for animal use, but given that it still holds a $1000 fine and/or year in jail, per count... not worth the risk in my book.

They tried to pass a bill in 2011 but it didnt get pushed through and I dont see that any further attempts have been made. HAD it passed, those with less than 2 cows or I think 8 goats would not have had to have a license to sell FROM THEIR FARM. You would still need one to sell from any other location.

I was talking with a friend about how dumb the law is. They cite the "health risks" of raw milk (of course without any mention of the health BENEFITS)... but her interesting point was that we have the CHOICE to purchase/sell and/or consume all sorts of other things that are unhealthy. This list now includes marijuana too (well, not the selling yet... but the consumption!)! LOL So... it's legal to eat fast food, soda, cheetos, etc... to drink booze and smoke cigarettes or pot, but you can get thrown in the slammer for raw milk. :rolleyes:
Good to know for sure. That is stupid..... I wonder who would really go out and check??? Now I'm skeptical, I know I have some friends and family that will buy it, so I guess I won't advertise on Craigslist.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Yeah, if you have trustworthy folks you know I'd say that's safe enough - just as long as they aren't one of those people that like to create drama if they happen to get mad at you. But I'd be very reluctant to advertise or sell to strangers or casual acquaintances. There was a small farmer back east somewhere that got caught and had a big ol' court battle recently. The jury found him not guilty on most counts, but he still got stuck with a hefty fine for the couple counts they did convict on. All it takes is one person to report to the right person, and for them to decide to make an example out of you... which is what happened to this guy (from what I've read).

Depending on your setup though, it sounds FAIRLY easy and affordable to get licensed. However, the inspections are what I worry about. The way I read it, it sounds like you have to have basically a legit milking parlor (separate from animal housing, and the milk has to be bottled in the same building, which means sanitation supplies/etc) - which isn't feasible for those of us with a handful of goats. Still, if you DO have that set up, around a hundred bucks a year and being subject to their inspections would allow you to sell. So, in a way, we have it better than some states.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts