Milk Production Drop

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Farmer Gab, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Farmer Gab

Farmer Gab New Member

Jun 25, 2008
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    We bought Brownie (Nubian Two Year Old) about a month ago. We milk once per day in the morning. A few days ago, she went from giving us a half-gallon per day to about a quart per day. What are some of the possible causes of this drop?

Thanks!

2. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Was she being milked just once a day at her previous home? I would think they were milking her twice a day and if you put a bigger demand on her udder by milking twice a day then she'll produce more. If you only milk her once a day she's going to slack off. Heat and breeding cycles can bring down the quantity too.

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Yes a drop in production can be attributed to breeding/heat cycles as Ashley said.....it is getting closer to the season when most dairy breeds are ready to breed, I too was milking twice a day and went to once a day 3 weeks ago because the production had slowed down, one nigi doe is 8 months fresh and went from almost 2 quarts a day to 1 qt with 2x a day milking so I just went to 1x a day and get 3 pints from her...the longer she's fresh and with breeding season around the corner she will drop significantly.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    did you change hay or grain recently? is her water being kept fresh daily?

5. Farmer Gab

Farmer Gab New Member

Jun 25, 2008
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    No change in feed and fresh water all the time. The only thing that is different is we have been having a lot of monsoon weather recently.