The Goat Spot Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
80 lbs. seems very, very small for a 2 1/2 year old doe. I've got Nubians, and my smallest doe is still a bit over 100 lbs. I'm not familiar with Saanens, but I'd be tempted to wonder if there is some sort of an issue going on, such as internal parasites, not absorbing nutrition properly, or some kind of a mineral imbalance.
She does get regular egg per gram fecals and honestly i am half guessing lol but shes always been a lil smaller than her sis. But not underweight dont get me wrong lol i feed my girls and they have 2 acres to eat on. Loose minerals. Hay all the time.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Are you familiar with body condition scoring? If not, this pdf will help you out https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjABegQICxAB&usg=AOvVaw2p2_vG38f7yfjZqNyxK7Z4
What is her score?
And I'm assuming you've ascertained that she's not self nursing?
I am. Im actually a Veterinary technician by career so i do regularly fecals preventive deworming.. i rotate the dewormers also to try n stop a resistance. And her nipple has become sideways and curved i noticed this evening im really wondering about the self nursing now i didnt have the right fape here yet i dont wanna regular gluey tape on her skin. But how would i prevent her from self nursing? Never had one do that before

·
Registered
794 Posts
She does get regular egg per gram fecals and honestly i am half guessing lol but shes always been a lil smaller than her sis. But not underweight dont get me wrong lol i feed my girls and they have 2 acres to eat on. Loose minerals. Hay all the time.
They certainly don't look like they're starving!
Minerals are an issue for me. Specifically copper. I have to really watch my does for signs of deficiency, or the milk quality goes down. I imagine the quantity would also drop if I wasn't proactive. Just something to consider! Giving her a break and letting her start over might be good. I'm doing that with a doe right now, drying her off early, as I feel she needs a break.
If you're interested, this is a really good article about boosting a doe's udder capacity and production while dam raising kids. I have followed a lot of the pointers, and been pretty happy with the results. http://glimmercroft.com/Udder.html

·
Registered
794 Posts
I am. Im actually a Veterinary technician by career so i do regularly fecals preventive deworming.. i rotate the dewormers also to try n stop a resistance. And her nipple has become sideways and curved i noticed this evening im really wondering about the self nursing now i didnt have the right fape here yet i dont wanna regular gluey tape on her skin. But how would i prevent her from self nursing? Never had one do that before
Never had one self nurse (yet) but I have used band-aids to keep a kid from nursing. One curving under the teat, with the padded part against the teat orifice, and another horizontally wrapped around the teat to help hold the other band aid on. Does that make sense? It didn't leave a residue or irritate her skin.

·
Premium Member
4,629 Posts
You do realize that prevenative worming is not a good thing right? You worm only when needed per the fecal. And choose the appropriate wormer for the worms that need treated for.

Taping teats.... a bandaid from top to bottom making the pad be on the orifice tip. then i use cloth med tape around the bandaid. I use cloth bandaids because they are a bit less sticky. One or two pieces around should be fine. Youtube has a few good teat taping videos. If she is taped she should not be able to get the tape off so easily. You tape for a while then try to leave it off and see if the habit is broken. If you start losing milk again repeat for longer. Just continue until she has stopped. I jave heard that a self nurser is a hard hard thing to break them of though. So do not be suprised if it take a good while.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,061 Posts
You do realize that prevenative worming is not a good thing right? You worm only when needed per the fecal. And choose the appropriate wormer for the worms that need treated for.
^^What she said!!^^

i rotate the dewormers also to try n stop a resistance.
Please do not rotate dewormers! That is a sure fire way to create resistance. It used to be thought that this would work to stop resistance, but it actually causes the worms to build resistance faster by introducing the worms to all dewormers.

Pick a dewormer that works and stick to it until it doesn't.;)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
My Mini Nubian is about 95 pounds and 28 inches at the withers. I read a full size Nubian weighs a minimum of 120 pounds. I wonder if you really have Minis? How tall are your does?
The folk i got them from werent that involved.so maybe.. I'll have to measure them ive only measured my dwarfs lol i do know shes atleast taller than my buck who stands 19 inches

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
^^What she said!!^^

Please do not rotate dewormers! That is a sure fire way to create resistance. It used to be thought that this would work to stop resistance, but it actually causes the worms to build resistance faster by introducing the worms to all dewormers.

Pick a dewormer that works and stick to it until it doesn't.;)
Thats not what they teach you in tech school.. using the same one over n over will create a parasitic resistance

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,061 Posts
I don't know what to tell you.:shrug: I've heard of people not having any dewormers work in their areas anymore because of the old technique of rotating wormers. I was told this by my vet, so I just thought I'd warn you.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Thats not what they teach you in tech school.. using the same one over n over will create a parasitic resistance
This is interesting.. Way too much conflicting information out here, some say it's good, some say it's bad.. Someone needs to write some research or something and give a definitive answer!

·
8,071 Posts
Feel along the spine and ribs. If those are bony, then she is thin- belly size and winter haircoat can really screw up what we think they weigh and their body condition.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I use this method to calculate weights for my goats
  1. With a cloth measuring tape, measure in inches around the goat's heart girth and the distance from the point of the shoulder to the pinbone. Use the following formula to estimate the weight in pounds:

heart girth (inches) X heart girth (inches) X shoulder to pin distance (inches)
Divided by

Not as precise as a scale, but I think a bit more precise than just measuring heart girth.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts