Milk production question

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Hounddog23, Jan 21, 2021.

1. Hounddog23

Hounddog23 Member

Jan 13, 2021
    Cleveland, Tx
    She does get regular egg per gram fecals and honestly i am half guessing lol but shes always been a lil smaller than her sis. But not underweight dont get me wrong lol i feed my girls and they have 2 acres to eat on. Loose minerals. Hay all the time.

MadHouse and happybleats like this.
  2. Hounddog23

Hounddog23 Member

Jan 13, 2021
    Cleveland, Tx
    I am. Im actually a Veterinary technician by career so i do regularly fecals preventive deworming.. i rotate the dewormers also to try n stop a resistance. And her nipple has become sideways and curved i noticed this evening im really wondering about the self nursing now i didnt have the right fape here yet i dont wanna regular gluey tape on her skin. But how would i prevent her from self nursing? Never had one do that before

MadHouse and Caileigh Jane Smith like this.

3. Caileigh Jane Smith

Caileigh Jane Smith Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2019
    Missouri, USA
    They certainly don't look like they're starving!
    Minerals are an issue for me. Specifically copper. I have to really watch my does for signs of deficiency, or the milk quality goes down. I imagine the quantity would also drop if I wasn't proactive. Just something to consider! Giving her a break and letting her start over might be good. I'm doing that with a doe right now, drying her off early, as I feel she needs a break.
    If you're interested, this is a really good article about boosting a doe's udder capacity and production while dam raising kids. I have followed a lot of the pointers, and been pretty happy with the results. http://glimmercroft.com/Udder.html

Hounddog23 and MadHouse like this.
  4. Caileigh Jane Smith

Dec 1, 2019
    Missouri, USA
    Never had one self nurse (yet) but I have used band-aids to keep a kid from nursing. One curving under the teat, with the padded part against the teat orifice, and another horizontally wrapped around the teat to help hold the other band aid on. Does that make sense? It didn't leave a residue or irritate her skin.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
    Hounddog23 and MadHouse like this.
  5. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

You do realize that prevenative worming is not a good thing right? You worm only when needed per the fecal. And choose the appropriate wormer for the worms that need treated for.

Taping teats.... a bandaid from top to bottom making the pad be on the orifice tip. then i use cloth med tape around the bandaid. I use cloth bandaids because they are a bit less sticky. One or two pieces around should be fine. Youtube has a few good teat taping videos. If she is taped she should not be able to get the tape off so easily. You tape for a while then try to leave it off and see if the habit is broken. If you start losing milk again repeat for longer. Just continue until she has stopped. I jave heard that a self nurser is a hard hard thing to break them of though. So do not be suprised if it take a good while.

6. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

^^What she said!!^^

Please do not rotate dewormers! That is a sure fire way to create resistance. It used to be thought that this would work to stop resistance, but it actually causes the worms to build resistance faster by introducing the worms to all dewormers.

Pick a dewormer that works and stick to it until it doesn't.;)

MadHouse likes this.
  7. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

My Mini Nubian is about 95 pounds and 28 inches at the withers. I read a full size Nubian weighs a minimum of 120 pounds. I wonder if you really have Minis? How tall are your does?

Caileigh Jane Smith likes this.
  8. Hounddog23

Hounddog23 Member

Jan 13, 2021
    Cleveland, Tx
    The folk i got them from werent that involved.so maybe.. I'll have to measure them ive only measured my dwarfs lol i do know shes atleast taller than my buck who stands 19 inches

MadHouse likes this.
  9. Hounddog23

Hounddog23 Member

Jan 13, 2021
    Cleveland, Tx
    Thats not what they teach you in tech school.. using the same one over n over will create a parasitic resistance

AlabamaGirl likes this.
  10. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

I don't know what to tell you.:shrug: I've heard of people not having any dewormers work in their areas anymore because of the old technique of rotating wormers. I was told this by my vet, so I just thought I'd warn you.

MadHouse likes this.
  11. AlabamaGirl

AlabamaGirl Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2020
    Southeast
    This is interesting.. Way too much conflicting information out here, some say it's good, some say it's bad.. Someone needs to write some research or something and give a definitive answer!

MadHouse and MellonFriend like this.
  12. Caileigh Jane Smith

Dec 1, 2019
    Missouri, USA
    Might surprise you! Sometimes they weight more than they look like they do!

MadHouse likes this.
  13. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Feel along the spine and ribs. If those are bony, then she is thin- belly size and winter haircoat can really screw up what we think they weigh and their body condition.

MadHouse likes this.
  14. NigerianNewbie

NigerianNewbie Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2018
    Central NC
    Heart Girth measurements for an approximate weight estimate in addition to the body score?

MadHouse likes this.
  15. Caileigh Jane Smith

Dec 1, 2019
    Missouri, USA
    I use this method to calculate weights for my goats
    1. With a cloth measuring tape, measure in inches around the goat’s heart girth and the distance from the point of the shoulder to the pinbone. Use the following formula to estimate the weight in pounds:

heart girth (inches) X heart girth (inches) X shoulder to pin distance (inches)
    Divided by

Not as precise as a scale, but I think a bit more precise than just measuring heart girth.

NigerianNewbie and MadHouse like this.