Milk room?

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by sesa, May 17, 2009.

1. sesa

sesa New Member

May 14, 2009
    Maryland
    We don't have goats yet but are planning on 2 for milking, does the milk area in the barn I'm going to build need to be an enclosed area separate from the rest of the barn or just shielded from all the hay and straw and such?

2. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    my "milk room" is outside by my pens.. but away from hay and goats enough to where it stays out of the milk..

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I just have a closed off space to milk - it actually is in the same area where i store the hay and grain.

4. CapraKoza

CapraKoza New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    We are building a small room in our barn, tucked under a staircase. It will be small, but have its own solid walls, a door and a window. What is important for me is having an area that I can easily clean, as my barn gets soooo dusty and there really is not an "away" space, away from dust/dirt. :oops: But I know people who do great milking out of their garages or basements (not me, I think my barn is cleaner than my garage :help:

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    My milk area is where my kidding stalls are...as well as grain storage. With limited space I work with what I have easily available.

6. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    With only two goats you can be a lot more flexible where you milk. I only have 1 I am milking right now, I milk her on my back porch, out in the fresh air. She knows to run and jump on the milk stand and after we are done she runs back to the pen to get a little more grain. That works for me right now.

7. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I've recently started milking on our porch too. If it's raining I am shielded and also away from the other goats. Love the new system. :)