Milk Smelling Bad PM milking only?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by lacey_yates, Jan 8, 2016.

1. lacey_yates

lacey_yates New Member

Mar 19, 2014
    I've been milking for about 4 years now, and haven't experienced this before. I know that goats can smell off every once in a while, but EVERY afternoon milking? I milk 2 Nubians. They smell and taste GREAT in the mornings. I have also skipped pm milkings, milked them out the next morning and the milk has no smell and tastes great. It's just in the pm?!?!? I don't get it. They are both on dairy quality alfalfa, sweet feed only on the milk stand (topped with BOSS), free choice loose mineral and baking soda. They don't have access to weeds...and its winter, there aren't weeds to be eaten anyways. They are healthy, neither are bred (I have a 3rd who is bred and will kid in April). NO ACCESS TO BILLY GOAT EITHER as I don't own one... :hair:
    THANKS!!!:crazy:

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Has to be something they are eating before the pm milking.

3. lacey_yates

lacey_yates New Member

Mar 19, 2014
    The only thing they get is the dairy quality alfalfa. The milk smells like *cough, gag* when they burp...so that real gross gassy smell. Could the alfalfa be making them off? It hasn't happened before... so confusing

4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Cut out the alfalfa and see. I think sometimes it can cause off tasting milk.

5. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

It could be too much molasses in the sweet feed too. Maybe one feeding is fine and two feedings on the milk stand is too much. Try cutting the sweet feed half and half with plain whole oats.

6. Little-Bits-N-Pieces

Little-Bits-N-Pieces Active Member

Apr 7, 2013
    CA
    Ditto on the molasses in the sweet feed. Try cutting down and adding something else like plain oats, cob, barley, etc, or try switching to a pellet.

7. lacey_yates

lacey_yates New Member

Mar 19, 2014
    I had no idea molasses would do that! And come to think of it...they were on a COB before, and I just switched to the sweet feed because it was convenient at the time! Totally getting them back on either COB or a pellet ASAP!

8. lacey_yates

lacey_yates New Member

Mar 19, 2014
    ************UPDATE**************

It was the molasses in the sweet feed that made the milk of my does taste and smell horrible at PM milking! I switched feed to a great, high quality alfalfa based pellet with grains added. TOTAL GAME CHANGER! THANKS!

9. Little-Bits-N-Pieces

Little-Bits-N-Pieces Active Member

Apr 7, 2013
    CA