The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 171 Posts

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay....so Heidi kidded May 2nd. I just started milking in the mornings about 7-8 days ago. The milk is bitter.Or has an after taste or salty or minerally or something. I am so bummed.

Here's what I *think* it could be....I was adding manna pro loose to their daily grain rations since I had it free choice and Heidi seemed to be losing some hair. Now I think maybe it was too much? Anyway, her hair seems to be growing back but now I am not adding it, I am back to free choice. I have not added minerals for about 4 days, but I can't tell if the milk is better/same or worse.

She has feed hay, (not sure what all is in it but he sells to other people with goats and also horses and cattle) and her grain rations are as follows...

in the morning she gets 3.5 cups (literal) of this mixture: 4c alfalfa 2c dumour pellets and 3c sweet goat 18%

In the afternoon it's as follows: 1.5 c of : 2 c sweet to 2c alfalfa

So for now a total of 5 cups a day...

Is it too much alfalfa? What could i be doing wrong?? I milk her and put her back into the paddock, (literally like 15 feet away)then i set Bailey up on the stand with her feed, leave her there and come inside the house (about 1/4 acre away, strain the milk into a glass quart jar, put it in an ice bath in the fridge and remove from the ice water later on.

I am so frustrated.I keep them extremely clean, and I milk outdoors...what could I be doing wrong?

I really appreciate any suggestions....I just want to get some sweet milk!!

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Actually, I just tasted it again and it seems more like a bitter after taste....not really salty, but sourish bitter?? Anyway, I am completely flustered.....her udder is not hard and hot and everything about her seems fine....just the bad taste to the milk...my husband will drink it but he would also drink a glass of milk that sat out for 12 hours :sick: so he's no help!

The kids think bitter/minerally also....Oh, and I should mention...the milk is literally in the pail for about 5 minutes before being strained and put in ice water...

·
Super Moderator
59,784 Posts
I would test her for mastitis just in case.

Also if she recently kidded, it could be colostrum. It can take a good 2 weeks to get out of the system.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
Could be mastitis, could also be copper deficiency, which makes for a definate bitter taste. I would give the minerals free-choice and look into a bolus.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
Could be mastitis, could also be copper deficiency, which makes for a definate bitter taste. I would give the minerals free-choice and look into a bolus.
How long would the bolus take to kick in and improve the taste of milk? my girl's milk also has a little bitter aftertaste, but I usually make cheese or kefir out of it so I can't tell. the raw milk is definitely not as sweet as some other people here describe goat milk to be.

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, now copper deficiency could be...isn't that what makes black goats turn rusty colored? I was thinking of doing that as one of the doelings is black and is turning red on her back end...

If I do the copper bolus, how long before I should see improvement?

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How long would the bolus take to kick in and improve the taste of milk? my girl's milk also has a little bitter aftertaste, but I usually make cheese or kefir out of it so I can't tell. the raw milk is definitely not as sweet as some other people here describe goat milk to be.
Lol...we posted at the same time :)

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
my girl is almost completely rusty (she's SUPPOSED to be black), and fish tail, pale without being wormy. bolus is coming this weekend!

you know....I find many of these goat discussions always turn into a discussion about copper...

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have the same thing going on with my doe. Has she gone through any stress?
Nope....not that I know of. Nothing has changed...I know that the family before me was drinking her milk, but when i think about it, they were giving her straight sweet feed and hay. Maybe the alfalfa pellets I use? Or the copper deficiency issue?

I just did the dish soap test and it wasn't slimy....

·
Super Moderator
59,784 Posts
I would try removing the alfalfa pellets and copper bolus her. I really have no idea how long milk would take to improve with copper but I would think you would see a difference fairly quickly with removing the alfalfa pellets.

·
379 Posts
I am having the exact same problem only my milk is tasting goaty after 2 or 3 days in the refrigerator. I never had that happen last year. My girl has shed A LOT of hair too. Now it's way thin. She just doesn't seem to feel well. She is LaMancha and white so I don't see any copper coloring. I am also feeding Dumor pellets, Alfalfa pellets and Mana Pro minerals. I too am so afraid of killing them giving them something the might not need. Funny, when I fed them last night I put the loose mineral in my hand so they would lick it up. They sure did. Maybe I just shot myself in the foot!!!

·
Super Moderator
59,784 Posts
I have heard before that alfalfa pellets can make the milk taste bad. I can't remember where but I remember someone having the same problem and it ended up being the alfalfa pellets. I don't feed alfalfa pellets because none of my girls like them and absolutely refuse to eat them.

1 - 20 of 171 Posts