The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doe in milk has a slightly off taste to her milk.

I noticed it at first with the milk in the fridge. Just tasted a little weird.

Tested fresh milk straight from the goat and it tastes a little salty.

I JUST moved her to a pasture with the rest of the herd - after kidding, she was in a pen with her baby and the baby is now old enough for me to start the integration process.

The two spent two hours on pasture the day before I milked her.

She looks fine, is producing a LOT of milk, has no signs of anything wrong except this off tasting milk. Was JUST tested for everything under the sun and is clear (CAE, CL, Johnes, Brucellosis, Q fever and TB - we just got her so we wanted to make sure all was clear before putting her with the rest of the goats).

So...mastitis? Pasture? Or...? And what should I do for her? My vet is on maternity leave so I'm a little stuck at the moment unless I drive two hours to the teaching hospital (which I will do, but I'd rather avoid if possible).

Any thoughts are so incredibly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes. That's what I've read too. It's very slight but I don't want it to go untreated and let it get worse. Is there something specific I can do for her, or do I need to take her to the vet?

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
I would also suggest that you keep milking her completely out, even when not using the milk for yourself. It will help move the infection through and out. That will also keep production up through this.

I've always found the newborn milk a bit salty, however.

Since you don't say how long since she kidded, you may just be tasting newborn milk, which lasts a couple of weeks, and is perfectly potable, just tastes different.

Vitamin C and Garlic won't hurt either way.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Since you don't say how long since she kidded, you may just be tasting newborn milk, which lasts a couple of weeks, and is perfectly potable, just tastes different.

Vitamin C and Garlic won't hurt either way.
It's been three months since she kidded.

Total newb question but, what kind of Vitamin C? The human kind? Anything special I should look for? And how much garlic.

I massaged the udder with a mix of coconut oil, two drops tea tree oil, and 2 drops peppermint oil.

I've been milking her out twice daily.

Teats are not hard and milk production is fine. Taste is awful in the AM, better in the PM. Probably because the milk sat in their for longer I'd assume.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Not newborn milk then. Taking some milk in to your vet to culture would tell you for certain if this is mastitis or not.
Human vitamin C is fine. 1000 mg is normally talked about here. 1 clove of garlic is normally talked about here, but that can vary, according to need.

Tell us about your minerals?

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,460 Posts
It's been three months since she kidded.

Total newb question but, what kind of Vitamin C? The human kind? Anything special I should look for? And how much garlic.

I massaged the udder with a mix of coconut oil, two drops tea tree oil, and 2 drops peppermint oil.

I've been milking her out twice daily.

Teats are not hard and milk production is fine. Taste is awful in the AM, better in the PM. Probably because the milk sat in their for longer I'd assume.
@mariarose said it all, but I would start with one clove of garlic then move up to 2, and then back down to one.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tell us about your minerals?
Thanks!!

I can't take the milk to my vet as she is on maternity leave and we don't have another local vet. I could drive to the vet hospital but I'm trying to avoid it if at all possible.

The goats have Redmond Goat Minerals free choice, Selenium Salt free choice, BOSS in their rations, and have free choice baking soda.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,460 Posts
Redmond is not minerals. Redmond is salt. Selenium salt is good, but I would not be surprised if your "off" milk flavor is from deficiencies. Do you have any access to a good mineral blend such as Sweetlix (meat maker 16:8) or Purina Wind & Rain?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Redmond is not minerals. Redmond is salt. Selenium salt is good, but I would not be surprised if your "off" milk flavor is from deficiencies. Do you have any access to a good mineral blend such as Sweetlix (meat maker 16:8) or Purina Wind & Rain?
I think I'm confused. What is the difference between minerals and salt?

The stuff we give them is "Goat Mineral Mix". Is this not minerals?

I can get any of the above mentioned mineral mix and would be happy to get whatever is recommended and best for them.

We also just started giving Replamin. So I have that on hand as well.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh, and is the Purina Wind and Rain the Cattle formula? I'm googling now and want to make sure I buy the right thing. Thanks so much for your hep!!!
;)

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,460 Posts
Minerals and salt are very different. There are salt blends which contain "trace minerals" but in the guaranteed analysis you may see it is over 90% salt. Whereas true mineral blends are mostly minerals such as selenium, copper, zinc, cobalt, manganese, calcium, phosphorous and more. If you look at a loose mineral blend, not a salt, there is an addition of salt in it but usually under 20%. Salt is salt, minerals are minerals. Often they are together, but very different things in different proportions. Leave your selenium salt block, that's good -- but you need true loose MINERALS. And yes, the Purina wind & rain is for cattle. Not many things are labeled for goats, usually the better formulas aren't. It is often used for goats though. Replamin is good as a supplement, but not for long term use to replace good minerals. For immediate deficiencies it is good, to get over the hump. Do your goats have well water or hard water? Excess alfalfa? Fishtails, rough coats, hair loss, or other signs of mineral deficiencies?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Minerals and salt are very different. There are salt blends which contain "trace minerals" but in the guaranteed analysis you may see it is over 90% salt. Whereas true mineral blends are mostly minerals such as selenium, copper, zinc, cobalt, manganese, calcium, phosphorous and more. If you look at a loose mineral blend, not a salt, there is an addition of salt in it but usually under 20%. Salt is salt, minerals are minerals. Often they are together, but very different things in different proportions. Leave your selenium salt block, that's good -- but you need true loose MINERALS. And yes, the Purina wind & rain is for cattle. Not many things are labeled for goats, usually the better formulas aren't. It is often used for goats though. Replamin is good as a supplement, but not for long term use to replace good minerals. For immediate deficiencies it is good, to get over the hump. Do your goats have well water or hard water? Excess alfalfa? Fishtails, rough coats, hair loss, or other signs of mineral deficiencies?
Awesome. Okay...so just to be sure I'm on the right track, I don't want Mineral Salt. I simply want "Loose Minerals". Is that correct?

And I purchased the Replamin for my other goats who do have signs of copper deficiency (coats are fading).

This one does not have signs of deficiency. No fishtail, no rough coat or hair loss. Coat is black, and doesn't appear to have lightened. So I'm not noticing anything.

When she first arrived, she had lice and a heavy wormload so vet treated for both and she's in the clear now. This was a few weeks back.

In her previous home, she ate Timothy hay free choice and Dairy Cattle Grain.

Now that she's here, she does get alfalfa but I wouldn't say it's in excess. They are getting 1/4 flake twice daily with Orchard free choice and Payback Goat Tender on the milk stand. And they definitely graze on the pasture as well. Definitely hard water. We are on city water.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,460 Posts
Awesome. Okay...so just to be sure I'm on the right track, I don't want Mineral Salt. I simply want "Loose Minerals". Is that correct?

And I purchased the Replamin for my other goats who do have signs of copper deficiency (coats are fading).

This one does not have signs of deficiency. No fishtail, no rough coat or hair loss. Coat is black, and doesn't appear to have lightened. So I'm not noticing anything.

When she first arrived, she had lice and a heavy wormload so vet treated for both and she's in the clear now. This was a few weeks back.

In her previous home, she ate Timothy hay free choice and Dairy Cattle Grain.

Now that she's here, she does get alfalfa but I wouldn't say it's in excess. They are getting 1/4 flake twice daily with Orchard free choice and Payback Goat Tender on the milk stand. And they definitely graze on the pasture as well. Definitely hard water. We are on city water.
Okay that sounds pretty good. Yes, loose minerals not salt.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Although I love Redmond products as extremely high quality, I do deplore the name of that particular product. The product itself is awesome, but the name is highly misleading.

The first thing you need is a loose mineral mix that has salt at a level of around 20% or less. There are several excellent choices, and the one that @NigerianDwarfOwner707 mention is very easy to find and a good start for a lot of people.

The second thing you need, you already have, a quality salt lick. Both are best to offer free choice. Goats did not evolve here, and need more minerals than they can get from the feed and hay here, but they can only consume so much salt (like any of us, if you think about it) so they'll stop before they kill themselves with salt poisoning. I do not know if they'll eat enough salt trying to get enough other minerals to turn the milk salty, or you are tasting the normal bad taste of mineral deficiency. I'm unwilling to run that experiment on my herd.

I do suspect that if you start offering a loose mineral mix apart from your Redmond, and start her on the Replamin you are already giving your other girls, you will see an abatement of your milk taste issues.

You did mention that your vet was off. I'm sorry that I forgot.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
20190505_123252466.jpeg If this is your mineral mix, it is primarily salt, 81%
Cattle and goat minerals that are used for the minerals instead of for the salt are.anywhere in the 15 to 25 ish% range

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Although I love Redmond products as extremely high quality, I do deplore the name of that particular product. The product itself is awesome, but the name is highly misleading.

The first thing you need is a loose mineral mix that has salt at a level of around 20% or less. There are several excellent choices, and the one that @NigerianDwarfOwner707 mention is very easy to find and a good start for a lot of people.

The second thing you need, you already have, a quality salt lick. Both are best to offer free choice. Goats did not evolve here, and need more minerals than they can get from the feed and hay here, but they can only consume so much salt (like any of us, if you think about it) so they'll stop before they kill themselves with salt poisoning. I do not know if they'll eat enough salt trying to get enough other minerals to turn the milk salty, or you are tasting the normal bad taste of mineral deficiency. I'm unwilling to run that experiment on my herd.

I do suspect that if you start offering a loose mineral mix apart from your Redmond, and start her on the Replamin you are already giving your other girls, you will see an abatement of your milk taste issues.

You did mention that your vet was off. I'm sorry that I forgot.
Fantastic. And No worries. Thank you so much for your help.

So I plan to give her garlic now for potential mastitis. Okay for the kid if she consumes the milk?

Then, with the Replamin, just confirming it is A-OK for her kid to continue nursing as well. I'd assume so but I'd best double check.

Ordering the minerals. So they should be here shortly.

Thanks for everything!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts