The Goat Spot Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Garlic and Replamin are both fine for nursing kids.

Reactions: mmcgill

·
Registered
223 Posts
Minerals and salt are very different. There are salt blends which contain "trace minerals" but in the guaranteed analysis you may see it is over 90% salt. Whereas true mineral blends are mostly minerals such as selenium, copper, zinc, cobalt, manganese, calcium, phosphorous and more. If you look at a loose mineral blend, not a salt, there is an addition of salt in it but usually under 20%. Salt is salt, minerals are minerals. Often they are together, but very different things in different proportions. Leave your selenium salt block, that's good -- but you need true loose MINERALS. And yes, the Purina wind & rain is for cattle. Not many things are labeled for goats, usually the better formulas aren't. It is often used for goats though. Replamin is good as a supplement, but not for long term use to replace good minerals. For immediate deficiencies it is good, to get over the hump. Do your goats have well water or hard water? Excess alfalfa? Fishtails, rough coats, hair loss, or other signs of mineral deficiencies?
Shoot I had no idea this was a thing! Mine have been showing signs of copper deficiency even after giving them a bolus.... now I suspect I know why. I read the label and saw that the mineral mix I got was mostly salt, but being new I just thought that's how it was supposed to be.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Shoot I had no idea this was a thing! Mine have been showing signs of copper deficiency even after giving them a bolus.... now I suspect I know why. I read the label and saw that the mineral mix I got was mostly salt, but being new I just thought that's how it was supposed to be.
Right there with ya! I thought I was giving them exactly what they were supposed to have! Glad to have this forum - have learned so much!

·
Super Moderator
59,289 Posts
Human chewable vitamin C is fine. The vitamin C is important to give for the mastitis. If you are going to do weekly Replamin Plus, you will find you don't go through much loose mineral. I did still put out loose mineral but only a small amount. I felt like I was getting more bang for my buck with the weekly Replamin.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Human chewable vitamin C is fine. The vitamin C is important to give for the mastitis. If you are going to do weekly Replamin Plus, you will find you don't go through much loose mineral. I did still put out loose mineral but only a small amount. I felt like I was getting more bang for my buck with the weekly Replamin.
Awesome! Thank you!!!

So even if the chewable vitamin C is the orange flavored stuff (natural flavoring), it's okay? I take chewable Vitamin C regularly so I can just give her one of mine?

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
being new I just thought that's how it was supposed to be.
May this be the most awful mistake you ever make, not knowing everything at first.

It won't be, because it never has been before, but may it be for you.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,452 Posts
Yes most people make this mistake. No worries! The two mineral mixes suggested in this thread may be a good thing for you to check out!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Fantastic. Thank you...

As of today, we began giving her Sweetlix Meat Maker Loose Minerals. She ate some and then head butted the mineral feeder SMH

She also had 500 mg Vitamin C (will have another tablet tonight), 1 clove garlic last night, and another this AM.

There is a slight improvement to the saltiness of the milk in a short time, so I'm quite hopeful we are on the right path.

Thank you all so much for your guidance.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Coming in late, but wanted to add my two cents.

First, my understanding is that the Dr. Naylor test strips do not work well on goats and will usually give a false negative. Dr. Naylor doesn't advertise them for goats, but many retailers do even though they don't work. The CMT in my experience will give some false positives, but will always catch a high somatic cell count. If someone has more information on this that would be great.

The cheapest way to get a cullture and sensitivity done is to overnight a sample to LSU mastitis lab. The overnight shipping is expensive, but I think they only charge $5 a sample.

I use Today for about 5 days if the goat isn't acting ill. If the goat is ill, I get an antibiotic from a vet.

I would be open to using Garlic and Vitamin C, but haven't seen any evidence that it works. If there is research that shows it works I would be happy to use them.

The CMT won't clear up for a week or two after stopping intramammary infusions in my experience.

Sometimes it is best to cull goats that have hard to treat mastitis. Prevention is well worth it. Mastitis can ruin a good goat and can usually be prevented by good sanitation practices.

I hope this helps. All the best!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
Thank you. She is not ill. ;)

Here's the update:

She's currently getting two cloves garlic each day and 2,000 mg Vitamin C.

The milk improved for a day but now it's back to tasting wretched and as an added bonus, today, she began leaking milk when she walks.

She is milked out twice daily.

Udder is massaged with essential oil/coconut oil mixture.

We use Fight Bac teat spray after milking.

She seems otherwise healthy, teats don't look like they are in rough shape. She doesn't mind being milked and has no inflammation or hard spots.

The milk just tastes terrible. And now, it's leaking.

Might be time to have some tests done.

Also, she produces an inordinate amount of milk. Her kid developed milk neck from overindulging. Perhaps I need to milk more often? She has not entirely weaned her kid. And if I'm so much as an hour late to milk in the AM, she is overflowing.

·
Registered
210 Posts
The leaking is bad since it gives bacteria the perfect opportunity. I don't have experience with it, but I think taping the teat is the best option. I am sure someone posted directions on here and you can also find them all over the internet.

How do you wash the udders prior to milking? Make sure you clean your hands prior to milking. I use fight-bac prior to stripping and then clean the udder with teat wipes. You can also use a teat dip and wipe the udders with a cloth and disinfecting solution. You don't want to get the udder wet since it will run to the tip of the teat and bacteria loves the moisture and is right at the entrance to the teat. Discard the first few squirts in a strip cup. After milking, use the fight bac again like you said and keep the goats standing until the teat plug can form. I feed them alfalfa after milking to achieve this.

If it was my goat I would give Today if you are sure it is Mastitis. Just a bad taste isn't enough evidence in my experience. Can you do a CMT? Are there clots in the milk?

I haven't had goats that leak likely since mine aren't that heavy producers. How much milk are you getting a day? You could maybe back off on concentrates. What are you feeding her?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
The leaking is bad since it gives bacteria the perfect opportunity. I don't have experience with it, but I think taping the teat is the best option. I am sure someone posted directions on here and you can also find them all over the internet.

How do you wash the udders prior to milking? Make sure you clean your hands prior to milking. I use fight-bac prior to stripping and then clean the udder with teat wipes. You can also use a teat dip and wipe the udders with a cloth and disinfecting solution. You don't want to get the udder wet since it will run to the tip of the teat and bacteria loves the moisture and is right at the entrance to the teat. Discard the first few squirts in a strip cup. After milking, use the fight bac again like you said and keep the goats standing until the teat plug can form. I feed them alfalfa after milking to achieve this.

If it was my goat I would give Today if you are sure it is Mastitis. Just a bad taste isn't enough evidence in my experience. Can you do a CMT? Are there clots in the milk?

I haven't had goats that leak likely since mine aren't that heavy producers. How much milk are you getting a day? You could maybe back off on concentrates. What are you feeding her?
Not sure it's mastitis. I will do CMT today (just ordered it but it arrived!)

I wipe the udders with a warm, damp cloth before milking. I can use fight bac too.

I discard the first few squirts.

My hands are always disinfected prior to milking. I'm very cautious not to touch anything prior to that.

We get a gallon a day give or take

No clots in the milk

Thanks for the help!!!

Oh, and she eats...
Orchard hay free choice
Alfalfa (1/4 flake twice daily)
Pasture
Payback goat tender on the milkstand (less than 1lb daily)
Black oil sunflower seeds mixed in with her ration

·
Registered
210 Posts
A gallon isn't that much. Does the milk taste different from one side to the other? Usually mastitis will be in one side. Bad tasting milk can be really frustrating. I had alfalfa hay cause it one time. You could try cutting out the alfalfa or trying a different batch and see if that helps. You could replace it with alfalfa pellets if you don't have other alfalfa available.

·
Registered
210 Posts
If she hasn't had a copper bolus recently you could try that as well. I know you said you didn't see any signs of copper deficiency, but I think she could still be deficient. We have high iron water which apparently reduces the amount of copper goats absorb. The water will leave an orange ring on my water buckets which is likely from the high iron.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 · (Edited)
Thanks. She's not entirely weaned her kid yet. So she's definitely producing more. Although the kid eats hay quite well now.

Interestingly enough that you said this because this afternoon I milked before I fed Alfalfa and the milk flavor was perfect. I tried to milk earlier to prevent leaking and it was successful. No leaking at all.

Not sure if that would make a difference as she had alfalfa this AM but was milked out after and didn't have any more before the next milking.

I did pull her off garlic today as well. But she had the off flavor before the garlic.

And the milk was very, very salty.

Salty flavor has since subsided but the flavor was still off...until this PM milking.

Fingers crossed.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts