The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two does, one freshened on 1/29/21 (Second freshening, milked last year during first freshening), and one freshened 1/31/21 (Third Freshening, first time milking). The second freshener had great tasting milk last year during he first freshening. I recently starting using a simple pulse milking machine to milk both does. For some reason now the milk is tasting "musty", and has a strange aftertaste. Both does' milk is milked into the same jar, filtered, and chilled asap (within 30 minutes). They each had a buck kid, and are penned next to the does, but they are only 2 months old. Any suggestions as to what could be causing this strange flavor? Thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
My first thought is that there might be something going on with your milking machine. If I have off-tasting milk, my first move is usually to go over my entire milking procedure step by step, and make sure everything is clean and the milk is getting chilled quickly. Then I start looking at the does' health and mineral intake, and other environmental factors.
One time, the thermostat on my fridge got bumped up a little bit, so the milk wasn't staying cold. Now, I keep a thermometer in there and check it every time I open the fridge. Little things like that can make a big difference.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Would a copper deficiency make a difference in taste? I have also heard people say they give a half of a fig newton to help make milk sweeter.
Never heard of the fig newtons! Copper definitely affects flavor, as does any other mineral deficiency, stress, parasites, heat cycles...if they have access to pasture, they could be eating something that will flavor the milk. Mastitis will cause an off flavor, too.
If it was me, I'd hand milk each of them and keep their milk separate. That would tell me if one doe has an off taste or both, and if neither has it after hand milking, then the issue is with the machine.
I've never used a milking machine, but I know they have to be kept really clean and I also know there are rubber parts that can age and crack, harboring bacteria. You probably know way more about that than I do, as you're actually using a machine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Never heard of the fig newtons! Copper definitely affects flavor, as does any other mineral deficiency, stress, parasites, heat cycles...if they have access to pasture, they could be eating something that will flavor the milk. Mastitis will cause an off flavor, too.
If it was me, I'd hand milk each of them and keep their milk separate. That would tell me if one doe has an off taste or both, and if neither has it after hand milking, then the issue is with the machine.
I've never used a milking machine, but I know they have to be kept really clean and I also know there are rubber parts that can age and crack, harboring bacteria. You probably know way more about that than I do, as you're actually using a machine.
I will try that! Thank You!

·
Premium Member
4,807 Posts
I have two does, one freshened on 1/29/21 (Second freshening, milked last year during first freshening), and one freshened 1/31/21 (Third Freshening, first time milking). The second freshener had great tasting milk last year during he first freshening. I recently starting using a simple pulse milking machine to milk both does. For some reason now the milk is tasting "musty", and has a strange aftertaste. Both does' milk is milked into the same jar, filtered, and chilled asap (within 30 minutes). They each had a buck kid, and are penned next to the does, but they are only 2 months old. Any suggestions as to what could be causing this strange flavor? Thanks in advance!!!
I would hand milk each doe into a separate container, cool and taste the milk. If everything tastes fine then i would think it is the machine and something you are either using to clean it or maybe lines not getting good and dry. If one doe's milk tastes off from hand milking do cmt test on it to make sure no mastitis is goin on. They can have mastitis and no other symtpoms other than milk tasting or smelling off. Are you using the same cleaning stuff on udders and milking things? Is it different from last year?

·
Registered
756 Posts
I had one goat whose milk tasted a little off one year. Not bad, but kind of that flavor that milk gets when it sits out on the counter and gets room temp. I gave my goats a cobalt block and flavor was fine after that. Now I always have a cobalt block out for them just in case.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would hand milk each doe into a separate container, cool and taste the milk. If everything tastes fine then i would think it is the machine and something you are either using to clean it or maybe lines not getting good and dry. If one doe's milk tastes off from hand milking do cmt test on it to make sure no mastitis is goin on. They can have mastitis and no other symtpoms other than milk tasting or smelling off. Are you using the same cleaning stuff on udders and milking things? Is it different from last year?
The only thing different is using the milking machine and the teat wipes. Last year i used baby wipes and this year I'm using the milk check wipes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had one goat whose milk tasted a little off one year. Not bad, but kind of that flavor that milk gets when it sits out on the counter and gets room temp. I gave my goats a cobalt block and flavor was fine after that. Now I always have a cobalt block out for them just in case.
Where did you get the block? Im feeding free choice manna pro mineral at the moment.

·
Registered
Capriculturalist and Goat Slave
1,869 Posts
Milk tasting off is usually something off with the goat themselves, or feed. Bucks nearby do not cause it. In general, certain mineral deficiencies can cause it. Copper, selenium, cobalt are the main ones typically. I'd search around and trying to get Sweetlix if you can. There are several other brands that are much better than Manna Pro. There is a thread here on minerals with many suggestions. We currently offer ours 20 minerals cafeteria-style.

But I'd do what others say and hand milk then taste each one. Narrow down the goat that is the cause or if it's the machine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts